Notices

Life after drinking:

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life after drinking:

What's life after drinking (or using) like for you?

For me, it's more consistent. I used to live for the emotional and physiological highs of drinking; it was what I looked forward to nearly every day. Once I stopped drinking, I had to find comfort in more simple things: waking up clear-headed, having a cup of coffee in the morning, reading a book (I've probably read more books in the last five months than I had in the past five years).

None of these simple things make me manic or blackout and exhibit embarrassing behavior. I'm as successful as ever professionally--perhaps even more so--without experiencing the depressive dregs of drinking. I'm gradually rebuilding my social life to include people with whom I can spend time sober.

Life is pretty mild-mannered, but that's okay now.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, much the same here. I have a peaceful life now and I am completely accountable.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"waking up clear-headed, having a cup of coffee in the morning, reading a book"

Like you, I'm cherishing the simple things... and while it's not always easy and it hasn't been long, already.... it's BETTER.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love, love, love it! Good for you x
Old 01-07-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, that is pretty much the way is has turned out for me; I am enjoying doing things that I either neglected or ignored while I was drinking. I like to cook; I'm much better at it without hitting the wine while cooking. Stuff turns out better too! I read more. I have come back to several hobbies that I lacked the energy to pursue while drinking. I go on evening walks with my dog Rosie rather than sleeping in my chair. These are small things but great things. I like myself a lot more too!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I sometimes like the grey area in my brain, just being contented and bright in the morning xxx
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

TucTee I'm also at 5 months of sobriety and can really relate to the consistent peace that has been added to our lives as a result of putting down the bottle. The drama isn't nearly as acute as it once was. Now the drama is more as a result of "coming to" and seeing clearly the wreckage of my past and what needs to be done about it. It can be quite stressful but it's been my experience that things do get better one day at a time if we stay sober and do the work to make tomorrow better. It's easy for me to forget the chaos that ensued while I was in a alcoholic haze for years, and today I have a chance at a much better way of life thanks to God and AA.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely more consistent and peaceful. Less emotional roller coaster rides!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't instant react emotionally to things anymore. At first I only noticed the physical benefits of not drinking but now I am really starting to appreciate the emotional/mental benefits. (100 days sober)