Notices

Im hoping to get some sort of an answer, help appreciated

Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im hoping to get some sort of an answer, help appreciated

Firstly, if I sound very ignorant about people in recovery I apologize, this is all new to me so hope you can understand that.
A while ago I had a date with a woman I’d met on a dating site. It was a really nice evening with laughter, conversation and a definite spark.
During the course of the evening I found out that she was a recovering alcoholic also with a history of cocaine abuse.

Now I’ve always been of the opinion that ‘shit happens” in life and “there before the grace” etc. so I’ve never judged anyone who’s found themselves in similar situations.

She’d suffered for it, lost her marriage and her daughter and had the struggle of getting sober. She’s gone through AA and has been sober for over two years and was helping out others through the mentoring service plus other organizations she was working with.
We started to see each other and the relationship became intimate. I enjoyed her newfound zest for life and her battling qualities, she was fun, bright intelligent and independent, all the things I find attractive in a woman.
Her biggest battle was rekindling her relationship with her daughter, it was going well a while back but she felt she needed to do something else to push her recovery on so she went to South Africa to work at retreat for 3 months as she felt this would be a good thing. She said it really helped her but she then had to come back and re-engage with her daughter and that is still an on-going thing.

Seeing her was proving difficult due to my own and her work commitments plus she had now been granted more access to her daughter, which was brilliant. We kept in touch with phone calls and messages and I would always make sure she was doing OK when she had to take her daughter back to her ex at the end of a visit. She really appreciated that and said I was “very special”
One of her main worries with her daughter was that she only ever her saw her with a man when she was drinking so she needed to tread very carefully with that. That was fine for me, nice gentle steps, I was happy to do that because I thought she was worth it.

Christmas came and went and we never saw each other as she was busy working with other recovering alcoholics as she was aware that it’s a tricky time of year for a lot of them.
I called her on the night of the 26th because I knew she’d had her daughter for the day. She was very upset as she felt her daughter had become distant with her over recent weeks and she was that day. We talked and the next day I text her to say that she really should give herself some credit for having got through Christmas this year and that was brilliant and she too in my mind was brilliant. She was so happy to hear those words.

I knew she was away for New Year to see her father and l looked forward to seeing her in 2014.
I sent her a message on Facebook saying as much.
When I logged back onto it to see if she had replied I saw that she had changed her profile picture, it was her with another man and the comments below from others saying how they hope they’ll be happy together.
I messaged her to find out what was going on and she unfriended me immediately. I text her but from that day on she has never responded.

I’m crushed, I invested a lot emotionally in all of this and as far as I was aware everything was great and was going to get even better in the New Year.
I’m now looking for an explanation that I cant get.
This might be just how it goes but could her condition be part of this?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Glen - welcome.

I'm sorry for your pain, but I don't think you need to be an alcoholic to play the field on internet dating sites and date several people at once.

I'm sorry it happened to you but the good thing is now you know this woman isn't for you?

D
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Glen!!

I don't know the real answer, but I do know that this could have still happened if she wasn't an alcoholic, it could even happen if she was teetotal, there are people that split from relationships for all sorts of reasons.

I feel for you though, as I've been in a similar position in relationships, when all seems great and then suddenly things seem to change over night and another person seems to appear out of nowhere!! . . . feel for you!!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

She was playing you and I'm sorry that happened to you, but I doubt it has much to do with alcoholism. I hope you find some peace.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys, just looking for answers as there was absolutely no indication that anything else's was going on. I guess she has played on her condition to cover things up, i feel so stupid.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We've all been played before, buddy. I once dated a single mother for 3 months before finding out she wasn't really single lol. People do horrible things to other people. I like to think that most people are caring and genuine, but I continue to find the opposite. She used you as an emotional crutch. Being used is a horrible feeling. Time will heal, but use this as a learning experience and never forget.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Leave it to karma, what she did was not nice and also not Alcoholism delated.

If she's like this sober, I don't want to imagine what she was like before.

Your a good person, and deserve better
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry for your pain. Try to think positive though. It is better now then after years of being married
I would know...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Be glad you found out the truth before investing any more time and emotion on this woman.

to SR!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She'd found God again through AA and surely that would tell you not to treat people this way. Really want to go and have it out with her but whats that gonna achieve?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yep. Sounds like a player. Some people on those dating sites hop around from person to person. I joined one once and deleted my account after about half an hour, so many players. I'm sure you'll find someone nice x
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

She could have at least had the decency to face you. Very cowardly of her.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Glen. I'm sorry for your pain and confusion, but please try not to take it personally. You are certainly not stupid - just a caring person trying to make sense of someone's selfish behavior. (I don't think it has anything to do with alcoholism.) Someone worthy will come in to your life.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just thought that maybe her condition/s may explain her erratic behaviour, clutching at straws I know. wonder if the new guy in her life will end up the same?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glen02 View Post
I just thought that maybe her condition/s may explain her erratic behaviour, clutching at straws I know. wonder if the new guy in her life will end up the same?
Who's to say? But, to move on, you need to push her out of your life. Dwelling on it will just make it worse. Your questions may never get answered, but they don't need to be to move on.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glen

You're looking for a particular kind of relationship.
Doesn't sound like she's looking for the same kind of relationship you are.

I wouldn't think about it any more deeply than that.

Alcoholics are people too - they cover the spectrum from good to..well...not so good.

Think of this as a lesson maybe that people, even AAers and Christians, are human and sometimes they don't measure up.

Keep looking - I'm sure you'll find The One

D
Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll never forget something my Father told me after a GF broke my heart:
"Someday you will just be curious as to what happened to her"