helllppp....constant sweating?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

helllppp....constant sweating?

Hi,
I'm no stranger here...unfortunately.
My husband was a user for about 2 years before I ever caught on. lets just say I've never smoked even pot in my life so I'm a little naïve and very trusting. 2 awesome qualities in a drug addicts wife. This was an addiction to opiates & benzos - oxycodone and Xanax to be exact.
Anyway - this last bout of relapse, he admitted to taking valium & way too much of it on one occasion. Now - I am smarter this time around, so is he though. He has certainly been under the influence several times - NOT JUST ONCE - but that's his way of "half-truths."

My question - out to dinner with me in a restaurant, sitting down eating - hes dripping sweat. Meaning beads on his forehead. Then, outside, in 40 degree weather, his hair is wet from sweat. and in our house, at a comfy 70 degrees, he's got beads all across his face and forehead. Consistently. I have no idea what this is (it was not a symptom before) and he won't be honest. Not that it matters - but I worry about what physical stress he's putting his body through.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AH takes benzos (Xanax) and while I have seen him use too much I have never seen him sweat from it. Ha...double meaning I guess!

Sorry to not be of more help.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It could be from using, or from withdrawls. I don't know. I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say.... does it matter? Using looks like using, and recovery looks like recovery. If he is using, what are you going to do about it? You cannot make him stop. The only person you can control is you. Sending hugs.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I knew someone would say that...which Is why I added my final sentence in my post - "no, it doesn't matter" using is using. but its a little concerning to sit across the table from someone with sweat dripping down their face and those sunken eyes.. I mean I don't think he would ever, ever, ever tell me if he were in a medical crisis if he could help it.. and I catch myself thinking all the time - wow he looks like ****, I wonder if hes done enough for an overdose? its a terrible way to feel, although I don't say it outloud.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to take oxycodone for back pain and sweated a lot, during the day while busting azz on moving/lifting/hard work. Never sweated sitting in my house, nor eating...yet if I were anxious? Yes. I would sweat like mad.
(4 years experience with heightened sweating due to hormones/oxycodone)

Ativan use for 20+ years. Some times after I take it at night I sweat in my sleep. Am also going through menapause so who knows? Never in 20 something years have I sweated because of it in the daytime. So my doctor thinks my last few years of night sweats is hormone related.

However, people react differently to drugs, life, stress so I'd never try to say "he's doing something"....you're having a gut feeling and I have often regretted not trusting that feeling. Never can climb into another persons head to know what makes them anxious, ya know?

take care
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

O Lethe...I feel you with the night sweats! They just started for me...a gift for my 39th Bday...haha. I know it is hormone related (I don't drink or do drugs) but boy do I hate it!

Menopause is going to be really fun....not.

Anxious...I am sorry for all you are going through. Hugs.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH sweats from oxycotin and Heroin- Not saying that is what he is doing! I always notice my AH sweating when he is high. HOw are YOU doing?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took a TON of benzos for 10+ years and I was always freezing. so maybe it depends on the person?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My son is addicted to meth. He had told me in the past that he is always burning up. I think it's called hyperthermia, rather than hypo (cold). I've never seen him sweat but to be honest I think I've only seen him obviously using once. It is typically all the associated chaos that gives him away. That sounds like a very apparent symptom of something...whatever it is....can't be good for him.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah that's what I mean. Its very clear something is wrong but he just won't give it up. I picture the ambulance coming if it ever got worse and me saying "well hes a drugaddict..but I have no idea what he's been doing he won't tell me.." and just sounding like a total idiot. :-( I'm ok. I've been better. Feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders while I'm trying to figure out what to do to better MY life.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband sweats every time... just like that. Opiates. A lot.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My son sweat profusely when he used crack.

I know you know it doesn't matter what he is using, it is pretty apparent that he is using something.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

Hugs
Old 01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My sister is highway patrol...she told me people who take bath salts are extremely hot all the time, they often find them naked!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have seen this in my ABF, he would sweat so profusely that his hair would be dripping wet. He's addicted to opiates.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My husband was using pain meds and Benzos also - his was Xanax. Hard to say what his symptoms mean; he could also be trying to cut down and is showing symptoms of withdrawal. Benzos are especially dangerous to detox from. My husband without my knowledge was trying to taper off, and he ended up having seizures and had to go to the hospital. Im sorry he wont talk to you, my guess is he is afraid of the reaction, the shame associated with the relapse. All you can do is stay alert, don't hesitate to call 911, and be honest that he has a drug problem. They can test pretty quickly to determine what drugs are being used in order to counteract where possible.

If you haven't yet, I would also suggest you read some over on the Substance Abuse forum because a lot of members share about their struggles to quit, and withdrawals; might help you. My husband became addicted starting with legitimate prescription after an injury and multiple surgeries. Neither of us had any experience with drugs either so I know where your coming from; its an eye opener every time something new comes up.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I had to guess suboxone comes to mind before any other drug, you sweat profusely no matter what, inside comfy, in the freezing cold, while sleeping and I know so many people who took it and all said the same thing, they had never sweat like did on sub with any other drug.
And it can make even more sense if you were seeing an absence of normal high behaviors, and of wd symptoms.

And a bit of advice, maybe worry about what physical, emotional and mental stress you are putting yourself under. He has long since accepted the risks associated with using and knows how he is hurting himself.