Notices

Hi there.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Hi folks. Just registered, but have been reading here for the last week.

A bit about me: I stopped drinking in June 2012 with the help of a 70 day stint in a CBT based rehab facility, a lot of honesty, and a lot of reading.

Today is my first day of also quitting smoking. Strangely, even though I quit drinking and consequently managed to lose 34kg through a healthy diet and physical activity, my addictive mind seems to have made the biggest song and dance about smoking.

I'm interested in the rational/secular part of this forum, more specifically AVRT, but I'm interested in the whole phenomenon of addiction/recovery in general. I'm still trying to make sense of why "it" worked for me (not that I'm overly worried, just very very curious), even though I didn't really follow/adhere to a program. I also feel totally unqualified to give anyone any advice whatsoever on the matter.

Feel free to ask questions, happy to be here.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a secular forum about halfway down the main index page. Check it out.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!

It is hard to analyse! I used a variant on AVTR to stop smoking a good few years ago now and found it relatively easy. I think I had it really fixed in my head that smoking was a big time enemy.

Drink on the other hand has often convinced me that it is my friend despite any higher level thinking to the contrary. I found that much harder and am still early on in abstaining from that. Perhaps the key is one's view of the addictive substance. Rejecting an enemy that is out to kill you - and being clear that is the case - is easier than giving up a pleasure you are only half convinced will do you harm.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome x
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Perhaps the key is one's view of the addictive substance. Rejecting an enemy that is out to kill you - and being clear that is the case - is easier
I think that's a good point. Although from a rational point of view both substances were pretty much killing me, the little beastie in me admitted to the alcohol part being lethal earlier on. Maybe it just wanted me alive to be able to continue smoking.

Only half kidding mind.

Day 2 today. Hate to admit that - although not easy - it is (much) easier than I had feared for such a long time. There are fleeting moments that I'm even enjoying the process.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Chief Bromden

D
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Chief Bromden

Have you ever come across Allen Carr to help with quitting smoking? I have to admit that as a previous confirmed smoker it was the only thing that even slightly helped me quit.

I am sure that you are more than over qualified to give us all advice, so get posting x
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome and congratulations on your sobriety, it is truly a wonderful accomplishment.
Good lock with the quitting smoking, I quit over 4 years ago.
I had been sober for about 3 mths at the time. Smoking was big for me and I was a heavy smoker.

Do you have a plan for quitting smoking. I pretty much quit cold turkey, armed with motivation, Allen Carrs book "The easy way to quit smoking" and the QSMB ( a forum for support for quitting smoking,) it can get a little heated in there, due to the newly quit, LOL. It is so very informative about the process and was such a wonderful resource.
Also, occasionally I used the barrel of a pen, I would used it to smoke like a cigarette, hold it like a cigarette and bring it to mouth and inhale air into my lungs just like smoking a cigarette, LOL.

I was not aware of rational/secular recovery at the time.
However that been said that was pretty much exactly what I used in handling the constant nicotine cravings. Telling my AV "Yipee I am a non smoker" and so are you now and that is never going to change. Every time, and the months and years passed.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again.

Allen Carr... yes indeed. I had already read his book about drinking a couple of years back, and did finish the smoking one yesterday. In many ways his method/message is similar to AVRT as far as I can tell.

Days 3 and the little beast is clearly not happy. Oh well, my resolve to get rid of this final addiction (after alcohol, xanax, and sugar...) is bigger. I was so fed up with my addictive behavior, panicking because I ran out of ciggies, etc.

Which was easy to do, considering I was smoking about 80 a day.