Notices

Close Call

Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close Call

So, I am on Day 130, or thereabouts, of sobriety and things have been going pretty well. I just returned from a ski trip to Colorado where, I learned, pot became legal to sell and possess as of January 1. My drug of choice has always been alcohol, and I haven't smoked pot for 20 years. On the last day of my vacation, January 1, the kids were driving me crazy and I thought, what the heck, why not see what it is like to smoke a joint before bedtime? I knew it was stupid but I rationalized that, at least it wasn't alcohol.

Anyway, I told everyone that I was going to town for a bit, and walked down the street to the medical marijuana dispensary, which was now selling recreational marijuana too. When I got there, I found that there was a line of nearly 100 people that snaked out of the building and all the way down the block. I would have needed to stand in line for 2 hours to buy a couple joints worth of pot. (I was getting on the plane the next day). I didn't have that kind of time to waste so I left, sober and unscathed. I am back in my home state now, where they still put people in jail for smoking pot. So I think the crisis has passed.

I would like to say that my willpower and good character kept me sober. But, failing that, I will take good fortune too. Still sober.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

and we could see it as a concrete example of the 'many' paths, end results count

I used to be a daily pot smoke in my youth, along with drinking. I hadn't smoked dope for about twenty years. About two years ago I tried to quit drinking, in the first week I figured I would try pot to at least take the 'edge' off. Long story short , didn't go as planned(ending with two problems). It really lowered my inhibitions to the notion of drinking, plus having been 'out of the game' for twenty years I think made me a little more paranoid when stoned then I remembered , wich is what initially lead me to 'just a few drinks' to take the edge off of that. Anyway that was my experience, just glad if yours would have been similar, you didn't find out. And btw twenty years later pot itself is a whole new ballgame way more punch.(at least for this ole timer)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hadn't thought about what being stoned might do to weaken my resolve not to drink. All in all, I think I dodged a bullet.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on 130 Days!! . . . something to be careful with though in terms of openeing doors with alcohol that were previously locked tight!!