Notices

Does particular music make you want to drink?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does particular music make you want to drink?

For me it is as follows:
1) 70's Stones
2) Faces
3)Steve Marriot
Early:
4) Drive-By Truckers
5) Lucero
6) Shooter Jenning
7) Canned Heat
There are more but you getthe idea
Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Music is a huge trigger for me. Especially when I'm home alone with my headphones blaring in my ears. My music trigger mostly consists of party music from when I'd go out to a bar with girlfriends. It gives me the false sense that the alcohol is what made it a fun night and not the company I was with. No specific bands or anything. Just needs to have a good beat, really.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

It was a bigger trigger early on, but now that I have a good bit of time between me and my out of control times I can listen to a lot of it without getting itchy inside.

but when I am in a F it mood...then I still need to stay away from some of my F it music...because it reinforces my angst.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my house there has always been music playing. I've also love to go to see live shows. I think I associated drinking/drugs with music because they were the constants in my life. Early on when the drinking and drugs were missing the music just seemed to be lacking. Over time music has worked it's way back into my life ... and I still think the Dead sound good
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes! But I think it is possible to reprogram the way you respond to certain music. For me it was like, 'this is the first time I have listened to this sober'... eventually it all becomes sober music. But saying that there are two CDs which I listened to a lot the Christmas before I got sober which was a bad time for me and they still have associations...
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

No, not really. I do get very emotional when I hear certain songs though. x
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes. Music triggers me but less so as time goes by.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking one day and that was it, never really looked at triggers much. The music I listed has always been my party tunes. I tend to stay away from the tunes that music that got me going in favor of some stuff I hadn't listen to as much. I do concert photography so I am @ a lot of live music and booze and it never bothers me. However my 1st DBT show will be hard.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some music was but indie movie was more of a trigger which not to start drinking but to keep on drinking. I get in a good mood that I would never want to get down of my drunken. But if it's after a day of drinking, I'm at the point I want to drink and pass out. Not fun at all.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seeing alcohol at people's houses is a huge trigger for me. Not so much music.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

It used to, majorly. Our lists are pretty similar as well. Then one day at work, another old warrior with hard-won sobriety remarked that he had never listened to Sticky Fingers sober, in the daylight. We had a good belly laugh about that one, and from that point on it felt like I was discovering all of my favorite records all over. You don't have to live like Keef to listen to Keef.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I listen to Rise Against I always want to drink. I think it's from the "Good ol' days" where I played video games for hours and drank.

I still listen to them, I just have a thought every now and then.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
When I listen to Rise Against I always want to drink. I think it's from the "Good ol' days" where I played video games for hours and drank.

I still listen to them, I just have a thought every now and then.
I use to do that 4 years ago. I was drink and play MW2. Even though I think those were the time when drinking was so good to mean. I try to remember the after effect after a few days of drinking straight and playing games. I try to remember that part more now so I don't slip down that road.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like reading the posts and can see I may be a bit older which is great seeing people are recognizing the beauty of sobriety much younger than myself.

One thing about music it does follow your lead even though we tend to think we follow the music. As a teenager I was all into Black Sabbath and Zep and would crank it as my buddies and got high. I guess you would call that my my heavy metal daze?

Funny thing is I am now really listening to metal and have covered several metal bands, even friends with some. When I was drinking I would never come close to metal as it reminded me of doing Bactine and weed. (Gee I am so proud). I am starting to phase back into Americana/newgrass.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Music of the 70's and 80's is a big trigger for me because it jacks my emotions up, brings back memories of good times, etc. I have a hard time handling emotions (one reason I drank) so I have to keep that sort of music to little bits for now. With time I expect it will get better.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Dance? Oh yeah but not pick up. As time has gone, even tho I love my music, don't listen as much anymore. But I know if I lied to myself that I'm just going out w/ friends to dance while they sip; won't be long b4 I'm right back where I came from
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Music of the 70's and 80's is a big trigger for me because it jacks my emotions up, brings back memories of good times, etc. I have a hard time handling emotions (one reason I drank) so I have to keep that sort of music to little bits for now. With time I expect it will get better.
I actually went through almost the whole 80's not listening to anything with lyrics from the late 60's thru the 70's. Even sold all my rock records save a few mellow ones or those that did not get me emotionally worked up.

In the 80's I gave up drugs from the 70's and drank more instead so I guess I quit twice? Nah I know.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, it's a trigger for me.