Notices

There is definitely something happening here...

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There is definitely something happening here...

Despite having several direct experiences with the Spirit that moves within and through us all over the years, I have found myself consistently resisting the idea of "God".

The christian / church-based image of an all-knowing man in robes on a throne in the sky has always loomed as something I'm unwilling to accept.

Yet, at the birth of my children, in the quiet moments of stillness, in the desert on a fast asking forgiveness, in every sunrise.... I have FELT the presence of Spirit and interacted with.... whatever it is.

The past several days I have consistently and consciously made efforts to ask that Spirit for help. I have used the term "God" right out loud - even while openly admitting "I'm not sure I really know what you are, but I know that you're there..." Speaking only to that presence as I have understood and felt it.

Every day, things have happened. Meeting topics have been exactly on target with what I've needed. I've thought things like "Maybe that guy should be my sponsor" - and the next guy to speak at the tables opened his mouth and talked about having 25 years without a sponsor yet feeling like he should get one.

I have worried about financial issues and asked Spirit to help me face my challenges there - and within a few minutes received email from my remote sponsor with advice about dealing with my financial burdens. I have walked into a meeting with a nagging thought in the back of my mind that "Maybe someday" I would drink normally.... sat down... and that day the daily reflections were in front of me and as I picked it up to read aloud it was a passage that began "Have I FULLY accepted that I am an alcoholic..."

I have logged on here to SR for an hour or two daily, reading things that remind me why I have chosen sobriety, reading postings that seem to have been timed EXACTLY for what I needed right at that moment....

Some might dismiss all these things as merely coincidence. But, I can feel that they're much more.

I don't know WHAT it is....but there is definitely something happening here and I wanted to share because what I am finding is that just by opening the door to willingness a little bit.... I am feeling the loving support and presence of something giving me strength and guidance.

Have a great day.... it's a great day to be sober.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's good to be open minded. I was talking to one of my friends in recovery yesterday and he questioned whether my idea of God/ a Higher Power was a little too Christian. I love that he could raise that question as it's not something that would be questioned by my church friends. I think that is one of the most lovely things about recovery - a whole new perspective on spiritual things.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I know exactly what you mean. Same here. Something but what? I have decided not to try and figure it out just let it happen. So far I am up to synchronicity.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Free owl - thank you for this.

I, too, am experiencing serendipitous events that are coming in such rapid succession I can only attribute it to Divine intervention. Of which I have been asking, no, pleading for as of late.

My emotions are on a roller coaster, and I'm finding clarity to lifelong questions being literally thrown in my lap. I have discovered the meaning of "being careful what you ask for" as I weed through the Supreme Knowledge that I almost can't seem to turn off.

So, yes, without question, something has shifted.

And thank you for being brave enough to be willing to talk about it.

XO AO
Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a great start for ones willing

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

The past several days I have consistently and consciously made efforts to ask that Spirit for help. I have used the term "God" right out loud - even while openly admitting "I'm not sure I really know what you are, but I know that you're there..." Speaking only to that presence as I have understood and felt it.
I have heard many share over the years that
was the exact method they used to find God
not that God was ever lost
I know some that did it once and had great results
others tried it over and over many times before connecting

a great start for ones willing to - seek God with all of their hearts

Mountainman
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I live up in Massachusetts and just after we had a terrible storm the sky cleared around late afternoon and over towards the west, through the bare winter trees, the whole sky turned red, as if at the conclusion of some great symphony. And I looked at that and I thought how perceptive the poet Wordsworth was when he referred to a presence in the light of setting suns, and Keats when he said that Truth was Beauty, Beauty Truth. These moments of astonishing beauty in what we call the "real" world seem to me momentary wormholes to an alternate reality. Some call it "God" but to the ancient Chinese 2500 years ago (Lao Tzu) it is said that "The Tao that can be told is not the Eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name."

W.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Freeowl and everyone.

I to am feeling what you all are talking about.

Love to all