Notices

Help

Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Hi everyone who reads this. I need help. I know im an alcoholic. I want to take the first step and all the...I want to stay.sober but I don't how. Can someone help me?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chicka - welcome

by 'first step' do you mean as in AA, or just the first step in quitting?

For me, I think the first step should be to see your Dr to make sure you'll be ok healthwise once you quit.

Once you do that, I recommend you find support to help keep you sober.

SR is a good start, and there's all manner of face to face support too, like AA or other programmes.

D
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There's a lot of us here like me who are staying sober, and a lot like you who are trying.

I went to an in-patient detox, then did ninety AA meetings in ninety days. I am still sober over a year later.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicka35 View Post
Hi everyone who reads this. I need help. I know im an alcoholic. I want to take the first step and all the...I want to stay.sober but I don't how. Can someone help me?
you have taken the first step... you are here and you want to quit.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SMIA Where and When Corner

im just guessing youre lexington park is in MD
Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

chicka - Welcome to SR!!! My suggestion would be to read around here and ask questions. I read a lot and was greatly encouraged to find out I wasn't alone, some weren't as bad, some where worse, but I was not alone and neither are you!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You admitted it and that's a beginning. Good job for doing that. I agree with DEE about seeing a Dr. ASAP. If you can't then find some support and take a day at a time. I am on day 5 and have had to read a lot of post on here to help me (it does help) because it's like -6 and just to cold to go find a meeting. My Dr. really helped me. Just one alcoholic helping another. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Chicka! The first (and hardest) step is admitting to yourself that you are an alcoholic, so you are in the right direction… good job! As other posters have said, definitely consult with a doctor about detox so you can start your sobriety safely. Check out AA meetings in your area, read, post, ask questions on this forum, and always reach out if you feel an urge to drink. Alcohol is cunning, baffling, & powerful and your mind will try to trick you into drinking. And remember, and this is very important, an alcoholic can NEVER be a "regular" drinker again. You can do this! Just take it one day at a time. We're all here to help.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've taken the first step by admitting you need help. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you're ready to take the first step, and you're not sure how?

well - as others have already pointed out, you have already begun by posting what you did.

Still, it cannot hurt to look yourself in the eye in the mirror and say;

"I am powerless over alcohol and my life has become unmanageable".

If you're able to honestly do that... then ask yourself if you're ready to believe that a power greater than yourself can restore you to sanity. If you're not ready to call that power "God" or any other name... that's ok. Just ask whether you're ready to believe that something, someone beyond just YOU can help.

And if that settles well.... or even if you're just not sure but willing to open the door even just a little - ask yourself whether you're willing to turn your life over to the care of that higher power.

I had a tough time with the "God" piece for a while. My sponsor helped with this simple assignment; "Every day, when you wake up, simply ask 'Please, Help Me'. At the end of the day, when you go to bed, simply say "Thank You".

You can do it.... but you probably cannot do it all alone.

Welcome.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your responses..
Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Praying for you!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Chicka, I am glad you have joined us. You are on your way to a better sober life. I just don't pick up the first drink, no matter what. It is working for me. I am not against aa but I have never been to a meeting except on line. I get lost of support here and when I started I had just broken my back, so I really just had here. I have met wonderful people who have gone out of their way to help me. I will soon be at six months and am feeling really good. Again, welcome. Hope to meet you in the chat room one day. Also, we have online meetings on Tuesday and Friday. 8PM central. I use the twenty four hour sign in most days and I know it helps me just to pledge I will not drink today. Maybe that will help you too. Good luck and welcome again to sr.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chikka.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

day 3

Im on day 3 and feeling anxious. I keep.praying and asking God to take all this anxiety awayis this nnormal?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome chicka35. I am on day 10. I started the same way you did. You can follow my threads and posts I have done since I started. I have had so much help from all these folks, and any question will have a response.
I did tell my therapist, as you should tell your doctor, because I have severe anxiety. But I am surprised how SR has become my placebo, my xanax, my best friend.
I have started more than 10 threads and everytime there is someone that can relate or just simply make me feel better.
GOOD LUCK..We are all here for you as you will soon see that you will be there for us as well. The pride when you can help someone simply by kinds words and encouragement makes sobriety and all of this have so much more meaning than I ever thought it would.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks kflee...
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very normal to be anxious yes.

If you're concerned, or the anxiety is really bad, it's good to see your Dr I think.

D
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dee74 is right. If you are worried about anxiety chat with your doctor. I will be honest and my psych gave me xanax, but I am not needing them. I have them for a severe attack, but so far I have been coming here, taking a hike, and breathing through it. I am surprised and happy with myself for this.This is one crazy ride.