Notices

New...

Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New...

Hi, I'm new to this. I decided to join this because I'd be too nervous to go to AA. My problem is binge drinking. From Monday through Friday afternoon I don't have any alcohol because I go to class or the gym and I wouldn't want to try to do those things while drunk. (I've gone to the gym and school drunk and neither was a pleasant experience.) When the weekend comes around though there is no doubt in my mind that I'll be having alcohol. I'll drink as much as seven beers and a few shots here and there. And fast. I down alcohol faster than is recommended. I usually can't recall some things from the night. I'm left feel anxious and ashamed. Often I'm nervous to hear what my friends are going to tell me, because I don't remember what I did. I love my friends, but that's all we do. Except I'm always the one who's most drunk. I'm tired of this. I know that I can't drink in moderation, because I've tried it before. How do I bring myself to stop...? Should I go to a therapist?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Carmenn, welcome. I'm glad you're here. If you "know that you can't drink in moderation," I say it's time to start creating a sober life. And there are so many options to do this. Ask and search around here for ideas and support. Lot's of help anderstanding here. I say, the sooner you get going on this new journey the better. I wasted many years knowing I had a problem but unable/unwilling to truly address it.
Again, welcome to SR.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Carmennn, Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here, and that's what is important, I certainly couldn't quit on my own, I too couldn't drink in moderation, and so a similar decision to quit was reached.

It all starts with a Day 1, and a change in lifestyle away from drinking, all of us have faced the same question, but have made it work, you also can do it!!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I binge drank, too. And as I got older it lead to daily drinking. It's progressive, so you're very wise to realize that you may have a problem.

I was always the drunkest, too. Made a fool of myslef, along with the blackouts, so many times. I'd even drink before I went out just to get a head start.
All my friends knew I was a drunk. They saw me in action. It was obvious to everyone but me. I was just having a good time.
That lead to going to the liquor store at 8am to get beer. I'd buy a couple shooters of whiskey to drink on the way home. Real social drinking, eh?

I hope you can stop now before you get as bad as I was. I still remember the horrors after a binge. The fear, remorse and anxiety. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

You've found a great spot and I hope you stick around and read and post.
Best to you.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi Carmenn and welcome. I have binged myself sick in the past more times than I can count. I hope you find some help here xxx
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Carmennn! So glad you came to this site. I'm really liking the support I find here & think that you will find it helpful to you in creating a life without alcohol. I too, am a "guzzler" when I drink & the progression in the last few years is very scary. Grab on to this now & avoid all the misery that can only come with. We are all here with the same problem & wanting something better.