Notices

Civil Glass of Whisky..... Really?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timelord

Civil Glass of Whisky..... Really?

Last night I had really bad cravings. It was almost romantic. Thinking about the way I used to drink I sometimes feel winter nights, a good single malt whisky in a nice glass, wrapped in my dressing gown.

Of course the reality is I drank cheap paint stripper whisky in a high ball glass till I couldn't get up out of my chair. Next morning I would've have to have a nip of whisky to get out of bed and be in a bad mood all day.

The craving didn't last for long and I didn't tell my partner about it. It just caught me by surprise. Anyway I had a chamomile tea wrapped in my dressing gown in my Doctor Who mug! And feel great this morning as I do every morning since I stopped drinking.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done not giving in. How much better do you feel this morning for NOT drinking
Old 01-05-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Timelord

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Well done not giving in. How much better do you feel this morning for NOT drinking
Like most mornings. I'm lucky that cravings are infrequent and do not last for long. Sobriety rocks
Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Banquo, it's not surprising the romantic thing, with everything thrust in our faces in the last few months, the world would be a better place if we drank ??????? Haha like hell, we know better. Congrats on getting through your cravings x
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on resisting the temptation, whiskey can have a very deceiving romanticised feel to it in our minds!!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good job letting the craving pass and not succumbing.

even better job putting it out there, owning it and telling others about your experience.

I appreciate you sharing - because it reminds me of some things;

1) I'm not alone
2) When those cravings happen, they'll pass if I allow them to
3) I don't have to drink
4) The romanticism IS a big elaborate dramatic lie my mind makes up
5) I will feel much better if I don't drink.

Thank you
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It happens, well done for not caving in. I want a doctor who mug!!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

that reminds me of something I found over New Years.

Be all dressed up to go out looking like a lady and waking up the next morning still in my dress, to find my high heels broken, a rip in my dress, mud on my knees, missing my wallet. Throwing up for 3 hours.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's unbelievable how that AV tries to remind us how "wonderful" drinking was and doesn't try to remind us of the damage inflicted by drinking. Well done Banquo!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, the romance is seductive-and false! This realization has been super important for me.

I love the chamomile tea, too! I like the warm sensation as I drink it. For me it really does have a calming effect, and after a few weeks, it has become. . .dare I say. . .better than drinking? It feels great. I can have as much as I want. I sleep well. I feel great in the morning.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Guinness in a beer garden on a beautiful summer's evening - that was me lol
Don't think I ever did that.
Usually 6 litres of snakebite and waking up drenched in urine.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ahhh...those wonderful, romantic cravings...Went to a liquor store yesterday for a 99cent gingerale...right at the front counter displayed was every type of mini bottle hard liquor you could think of all for 99cents each...I played out the whole scenario:

2 mini bottles of vodka mixed with OJ in the am (along with a piece of peanut butter toast for nutrition)...then a long (HA) walk down to the beach...after that A BIG bottle of wine for the rest of the day in the living area with the fireplace going and any bad tv or movies to accompany it! This would once have been the perfect day (in theory)...in reality, there would be no walk, no PB toast and complete misery and hell the next day (either that or a rinse and repeat)!

Every time I play the tape all the way through, the idea of a binge sounds less and less appealing...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my sponsor asks me "when was the last time you had just one and actually enjoyed it?"

And he's right.... There were many times I could point to and say "See??? I only had one!?" Or "Look!!! I was out for dinner and drinks with friends and only had three in the course of five hours.... I'm totally like them!!"

However, when I look honestly at those times, mostly I spent the whole time thinking about how I needed to pace myself, concerned about not drinking too many, carefully making sure that I didn't have too much and sort of wondering secretly to myself "why the hell am I even BOTHERING to drink when it's not even doing anything?" while another little voice in the back of my mind said stuff like "stop for a bottle on the way home..."