Notices

Smoking cigarettes?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoking cigarettes?

Anyone pick up smoking when they stopped drinking? I have recently started smoking to help my cravings with alcohol. I know this isn't great but I feel like it's more important to not pick up a drink. I'm on day 9 now..I haven't had 9 days in a row in a long time. I have a new sponsor and she is awesome. Guiding me through the big book and I'm doing 90 meetings in 90 days. Anyway, just wanting opinions. I feel like since I'm smoking I am really sober? I don't know...this is just so hard.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think smoking affects your sobriety - but it's not a great health decision tho...

did you try any thing else to deal with cravings at all?

D
Old 01-05-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Sweetmama!

I don't know if it is right or wrong either as I am doing the same. Surely it has to be the better option, if you are like me then I only smoked when I was drinking, so really, the smoking wasn't ever the problem addiction- yes it is bead for our health, but it is a drop in the ocean to the trouble caused by alcohol.

Well done on 9 days, you are doing great, let's worry about the smoking issue in a couple of weeks time!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've smoked for years and I have found that by not drinking I smoke far less. Seemed to always have one lit when I was drinking.

I wouldn't recommend starting smoking if you don't already though, as trust me, you think alcohol is hard to give up - for me smoking is MUCH worse.

Xx
Old 01-05-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Dee- I have tried lots to relax myself but if I'm feeling panicky and anxious, the quick thing fore is to smoke. I'm hoping it's only temporary.
Marius- Yes I only smoked when I drank,
I have never been a real smoker lol Alcohol has been awful, I can't ever pick up a drink if I don't want to die or go to jail. I went to jail in December. I was convinced that was my rock bottom, but I still picked up again 11 days later.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would only really get nicotine cravings when I was drinking. I could easy smoke a pack during a night out at a pub or drinking alone at home. In recovery, I smoke a cigarette a few times a week at work with co-workers during coffee breaks, but I otherwise don't really enjoy it as much and can go without. Another reason not to drink!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you haven't seen it there are other ideas here Mama:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

great job so far Mama,

Maybe try the electronic cig......better than the real thing, and still there if ur cravings arise. and check out Dee's link for sure!!

Matt
Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stopped smoking a couple of months after I stopped drinking. Cigarettes is something I take seriously I was a rather passionate smoker.

I have had some luck with fooling the brain when I had cravings, if I had cravings for alcohol or cigarettes then try to focus on something I can have.

If I had cravings for a cigarette then focus on the ice desert I had at home and was going to enjoy later. My cravings seldom lasted more than some minutes, it is about having a method to get you through these minutes.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also only smoked when I was drinking.I now use an electronic cig which has been a big help.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Switching one cancer- and heart-disease-causing disgusting habit out for another is not a wise choice.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well during my last relapse I went for the cigarettes first and then I thought "Oh well, I might as well get good and drunk too." Really bad decision. I felt awful as a result of it.

Using the patches and nicotine mints now and haven't smoked for 21 days. Seems like a lifetime ago but the cravings really have gone and now when I smell other people's smoke it really makes me feel it's disgusting.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

For me, I was never a true smoker - I am so grateful for this.

I managed to choke down a cigarette a few days ago (first one in over 150 days) and I was shocked at how much it burned ! Then I thought of how I must of essentially anesthesized my throat from drinking.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd say its dangerous to substitute one addiction for a other. In fact you allude to that fact yourself. I'd read the craving link shared already. Nicotine and smoking is bad news in itself.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I took me many years to give up smoking, bearing in mind it is one of the hardest things to kick, and like Skye, I smoked more when drinking anyway. They kind of went hand in hand for me x
Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to only smoke when I was drinking, when I quit drinking - my smoking and coffee drinking went into overdrive. Talked to my doctor about it, he seemed more concerned that I stay stopped drinking no matter what. Said we'd talk about the smoking issue later. Four months later, I notice my cigarette consumption has drastically DECREASED as well as my coffee. I think you just get into a habit of having something and usually these other things work themselves out. No one gets a DUN (driving under nicotine) and I've never heard tall tales of smoking causing domestic violence. Stop the addiction that is causing you the most harm, the others will come in time.