Notices

"I'm on no sleep, No Sleep I tell you!"

Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"I'm on no sleep, No Sleep I tell you!"

for those that remember that Seinfeld episode...
Its Saturday AM Ive really just had the worst night ever been sober 4 nights now and just nightmares, waking, nightmares, waking,staring, worrying...now I have to teach cycling at 8:30 am for two hours I know I am going to be grumpy and emotional today with no sleep I am very nervous and anxious.
I feel very vulnerable like this.
my small problems feel monumental. if someone looks at me wrong I will start to cry, I will take it out on my husband (who is chronically ill so thats not fair)
how do I get through these days?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

..and?

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but using myself as an example, the **** I went through during withdrawal was often the reason for years that I didn't manage to quit. I knew that a drink would make those symptoms go away and I would feel just great...for a little while. But then I would of course be right back to the place where I was when I decided I couldn't take it any more and had to try to stop again.

Lack of sleep won't hurt you and drinking won't cure a thing.

And all the very best and a huge hug too!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.
"how do I get through these days?"

The simple tho not easy answer is "we just don't drink even if our azs falls off."

I was first told my only problem is the first drink I pick up, the rest are situations! Are they worth your/our lives or worse?

I found I needed to be honest with myself about MY drinking and accept the fact I cannot drink in safety. In other words I needed to surrender. For the experience and education I chose AA and became very active which took up my spare time and relieve me from any boredom. As said "it works if we work it."

BE WELL
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I promise, promise you that it does get easier. In probably a week from now, you will start having the best sleep of your life!! I started to take Dramamine to sleep at night the first couple of weeks of sobriety and that helped a lot.

Just hold on. Now my wonderful sleep is a big motivator in my sobriety. I don't want to lose it again! I am 98 days sober.

Keep on, keeping on!!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepytime Extra by Celestial has been helping me. I steep two tea bags and drink a large mug before bed. You can find it in most health food stores and some grocery stores.

Get through the class today and if you need a nap when you get home, take it! Last Wednesday I think I napped on and off until 3:00 p.m. Listen to your body and rest when you can.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, you'll get through it, Pataphor. My first week was tourture in terms of sleep, and I'm a teacher and had to get up and teach classes in the state you are talking about. But I did it. For me, the first few days, even weeks, are something I truly had to fight for. It gets better-it gets better-it gets better. Now that I'm past this stage (and onto the next), I'm glad for these first few days of tourture: I NEVER want to go through that again. Stay strong. You'll more than likely teach fine. You know your stuff and could probably teach on auto pilot a few times if needed.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

please please be gentle with yourself. Do you HAVE to teach cycling? Anything you can do for self-care will go a long way toward staying sober.
Hugs
Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
..and?

I don't mean that to sound harsh, but using myself as an example, the **** I went through during withdrawal was often the reason for years that I didn't manage to quit. I knew that a drink would make those symptoms go away and I would feel just great...for a little while. But then I would of course be right back to the place where I was when I decided I couldn't take it any more and had to try to stop again.

Lack of sleep won't hurt you and drinking won't cure a thing.

And all the very best and a huge hug too!
just dont pick up ... one day, one hour, one minute at a time ... and id say try and find a meeting.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pataphor View Post
I feel very vulnerable like this.
I think this is the key, here Pataphor. And I agree with SoberMama13 - you need to make self care a priority right now. If your lack of sleep is making you not want to interact with people right now, maybe you can limit your contact until you are feeling better?

Also - do you know why you aren't sleeping? How long have you been without alcohol? Have you been to a doctor? Are you stressed about anything specific?

Help yourself any way you can. This will pass soon. It's uncomfortable now, but it will pass.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am one of the bingers. I can go without it if I want but when I slip up, it's game over. So, I've went through withdrawal several times. The worst time was during a hotel stay, where I stayed to sober up. And I was hearing music in my head, it was awful. I saw spots all over. I got so paranoid, I was thinking that my father was conspiring against me to trap me in a hotel. I felt like everything was closing in on me. It was awful. But it DEFINITELY gets better. Hang in there.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

made it - your are right Odelle - its nap time, thanks everyone - don't want to drink just want to feel better.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

someonelikeyou0 - I so relate to the binging I can go without for quite some time...then blammo- thats my M.O.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Pataphor - I used to find my sleeping levelled out after a week.... 10 days or so...if it's been more than that and it's impacting day to day life maybe a Dr's visit could help?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You seem to have the right attitude pataphor. You're just having a rough day, plain and simple. The answer is to rest, relax, and not drink. Sounds like you've made it to the other side.

Let this be a lesson to you when you have another tough day in the future. You CAN and WILL get through it. Just stay the course.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You should just be a few days away from getting solid sleep. Yes, it's a bear. Hang on.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with DoubleDragons, after a week you should be sleeping like a baby. I'm on day 40 and I never knew how much sleep I was missing by drinking. No more waking up dehydrated and thirsty. Rarely having to wake up to go to the bathroom. Eight solid hours for me. Hang in there.