Notices

Sober for 42 years - His Experiences

Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Sober for 42 years - His Experiences

I have just had a meeting with a man who has been drink free for 42 years.

This is a little of what he had to say.

"Imagine being in a strange unfamiliar place like a restaurant, and you have to get from one end to another, there is no other choice. Being drunk is like turning off all the lights and wearing a blackout blindfold, whereas being Sober you can see clearly where all the obstacles are".

"The room has the same obstacles in the same places, only your perception and the ability to make subtle changes means as a Sober person, you can do it with ease, whereas being drunk means its a much harder prospect."

"Making the decision to live a Sober life, free from alcohol, drugs, cigarettes etc gives you more freedom from those who would oppress you. It gives you a freedom, because you are not dependent."

"Your Alcoholic Voice is the alcoholic not you. In time, it will lose all power over you and sleep, do not forget he sleeps with one eye open waiting for a bereavement, catastrophe or traumatic event, then he will strike you with deadly force." "Be Ready !"

"Getting Sober is like putting together flatpack furniture, we can do it ourselves, we don't need anyones help, all we need is the determination to succeed."
He said "All this is admirable, but following the instructions you can do it in half the time and with a lot less chance of failure. AA is the instruction panthlette".

"The first 20 years are the hardest, after that its just habit".

"Its better to be at home with a cup of tea alone with a book, than out with your drinking buddies trying not to pick up a drink".

"The best thing about being Sober, is the people that care about you, get to stop worrying about you and that makes it all the more worthwhile".

"In 42 years Sober, I must have saved over £100,000 GBP not buying alcohol, assuming that is I survived."

"If you want the feeling of adrenaline and a buzz, learn to fly a plane. Its cheaper than drinking and you can only do it Sober".

"If somebody offers you a drink, simple ask for a diet coke. Everyone has one somewhere in a fridge if not water will do nice."

"Drive to parties and drive home (Sober), these days only idiots drink and drive".

"Never be ashamed to admit your an Alcoholic, that chooses never to drink again. You will find people trust you more, not less".

"Alcoholics pay more tax than anyone else. Booze, Petrol and Drink Driving Fines'.

"The compulsion to drink, weakens every day you stay Sober. Expect you Alcoholic Voice to try everything in the first year".

"At Christmas and New Year, turn off the TV and spent your time with your non-drinking family members, it will be the best holidays you have ever had.

"Alcohol will win in the end and you will lose everything including your life. Total abstinence is like leaving the game."

These are some of the quotes from a very Sober and happy man from AA, who has been Sober for 42 years and is happily married and happily retired.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing some of his words. I really liked what he had to say. Freedom and choice are very good things!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW . . .that is an awesome man!!

The first 20 years are the hardest?! . . . that's some serious days to tally up!!

Though I do like the cup of tea and a book suggestion!!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Very wise x
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beautiful!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
Thanks for sharing some of his words. I really liked what he had to say. Freedom and choice are very good things!
I agree. We all have a choice, we make it everyday. We can choose to drink alcohol or not too.

As a free man, I have made my choice, today and everyday looking forward.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
WOW . . .that is an awesome man!!

The first 20 years are the hardest?! . . . that's some serious days to tally up!!

Though I do like the cup of tea and a book suggestion!!
What was great was when he said, at the beginning you think about alcohol and drinking a lot, because its part of your habit. After a a year or so (depending on the person), you think about it around twice a week for about 5 minutes.

After 20 years you think about once every a couple of months, then you just don't. You have become so used to not drinking, it no longer bothers you.

(Thats some hope on the horizon for all of us).
Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ahhh, words of wisdom from someone who has been there (sober) a long time. Great post autan!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great information! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

"Alcohol will win in the end and you will lose everything including your life. Total abstinence is like leaving the game."

This particular point hit a home run with me. In another meeting, a man described that aged 40 years old, he had lost his job, because he had become a liability. This led to losing his home, his Wife, never seeing his child, because of an injunction placed on him. Even his Parents didnt want to help or know him.

He went from being a professional one month to homeless and living under a bridge the next. It was only when he tried to commit suicide by hanging himself from the bridge that he was admitted to hospital and began to abstain from drinking that he slowly began to rebuild his life. The happy ending was he got a new job, his Wife came back and he is back.

One of the things I had not done in my previous attempts to stop, was really talk to people. I know this time it is the real deal. I needed to relapse to know in myself, theres no going back only forward.