Pills to stop drinking??????????

Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pills to stop drinking??????????

My AH knows I am leaving for good and taking kids with me. He is soon ready to hit his rock bottom, or atleast I would hope so. He says he called the dr for pills to help him stop drinking. As anyone else had experience with this??? He is going thru another sorry stage because he knows he has messed up once again. No job, no money and his daughter is about done with him. Just curious about the pills......
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there are some meds that will make the individual violently ill if they attempt to drink. this of course requires that the alcoholic TAKE the pills regularly to maintain that negative effect. i've known folks to take antabuse and STILL drink....

not sure about other meds. gotta be careful here not to cross the line into medical advice.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well he is on other medication at the moment
Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is he taking now? He may be talking antibuse. The thing I question is this. What happens when you no longer want to take pills or cannot afford them anymore (antibuse is expensive)! If he is truly serious about wanting to recover, he will reach out and get help. Can antibuse help? Sure. Will it make him recover? No. That has to be done because that is what he wants for him and is willing to work on that every single day...forever.

Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sometimes doctors will prescribe medications for people to take while doing a "home detox".

dandylion
Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
What is he taking now? He may be talking antibuse. The thing I question is this. What happens when you no longer want to take pills or cannot afford them anymore (antibuse is expensive)! If he is truly serious about wanting to recover, he will reach out and get help. Can antibuse help? Sure. Will it make him recover? No. That has to be done because that is what he wants for him and is willing to work on that every single day...forever.

Good Luck!
He is on Cymbalta, xanax and other mood stabilizer. Not sure if he intends on getting any other help. I think he is just grasping at straws here to keep me believing.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myfreedom View Post
My AH knows I am leaving for good and taking kids with me. He is soon ready to hit his rock bottom, or atleast I would hope so. He says he called the dr for pills to help him stop drinking. As anyone else had experience with this??? He is going thru another sorry stage because he knows he has messed up once again. No job, no money and his daughter is about done with him. Just curious about the pills......
I know a family member whose husband took them. They are now divorced and he is still drinking.

A reflection of him. A reflection of the pills at least in part? I don't know.

From what I understand, and this is from memory as I haven't researched this just now, is it has to do with affecting the reward/pleasure center of the brain, thus, drinking becomes an action the brain didn't view as rewarding.

If I remember that right.

Peace.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Let me caution you. Xanax is a benzo and benzos and alcohol can be a lethal mix. My husband completely lost it to this mix a few years ago and hurt himself by jumping off a roof and doing severe property damage to the home of someone he does not even know. Does not remember this even today. It was a severe reaction to a benzo and alcohol mix. If he even drinks one beer with one Xanax he is under the influence the way a normal person would be after drinking several drinks.

Just wanted to throw that out there to evaluate as I truly had no idea what could happen until then. Horrible.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Let me caution you. Xanax is a benzo and benzos and alcohol can be a lethal mix. My husband completely lost it to this mix a few years ago and hurt himself by jumping off a roof and doing severe property damage to the home of someone he does not even know. Does not remember this even today. It was a severe reaction to a benzo and alcohol mix. If he even drinks one beer with one Xanax he is under the influence the way a normal person would be after drinking several drinks.

Just wanted to throw that out there to evaluate as I truly had no idea what could happen until then. Horrible.
He was prescribed 1mg tablets and sometimes will take 3 at a time. He is 6'4.
He has a very high tolerance level. And he will drink on top of that.........
Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Regardless of his size, he is playing with fire. Sounds like your plan to leave is a good one.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My h was prescribed pills before detox that were supposed to help curb his cravings (didn't work) detoxed at home for 2wks then went to rehab for a 30day program where they put him on several meds (he did not need) he kept on the meds for 4mo before he decided he was capable of going without.

There are plenty of pills out there, some may work for some people, others not. To me, it almost sounds like trading one addiction for another as a lot of the meds have to be increased to maintain effectiveness, then decreased because they can't be stopped over night. In an irrational mind it seems legit, pills are legal, they make me feel good/better/different and I can get them from my Dr so it's not a bad thing... Not saying everyone has this mentality but I have seen it. A lot of people abuse alcohol and drugs as a coping mechanism, when you take that away their problem is still there. Which is where a "program" or aftercare plan comes into play. Who will he call to keep him off the roof when he's sober?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dont care what your height or size is, 3mg of Xanax is way too much and to drink with it can be lethal. Please stay safe.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Taking a pill to stop drinking is not recovery. He will eventually figure that out. In the meantime, you're doing the right thing.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Naltrexone - Naltrexone Treatment for Alcoholism and Addiction

Hubby was on this after detox/rehab. He weaned himself off after about 3 months. Didn't like the way it made him feel.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

2+ months in rehab?
Is that what is really needed?

Hello MyFreedom, I read your thread because my AH takes pills too. He takes something for depression and something for anxiety and for a while also had pills for sleeping. He recently got pills from India (I found out they were Valium -thank you google). He leans heavily on the pills when he is trying to cut back on the drinking.
Since he wont fess up to being an alcoholic he lives in this vicious cycle of one to two week sobriety, binge drinking, then easing up and just daily drinking then back to just the pills, then back to a binge. Its like clockwork sometimes I can guess the day he'll fall back down and binge.

I was surprised by Chantall88's comment about the 2 months inpatient. I didn't know it would take that long. That may explain why he wont admit to it and wont do anything about it (my husband at least).

He moves out in 1 week. (time is flying) Unless I can do something with the courts between now and then, he'll get the kids 50%. I am documenting everything I can and sending it to my attorney.

I do want him to recover. And I do want him to have time with the kids. But he really needs to get control of his life first.

Your husband being 64 is worrisome for me. That's a long life time of drinking to overcome. My AH's parents were both alcoholics. His mother passed 8 years ago from it at around 61. His Dad is still around he's 72 now. He calls his dad and try to convince his Dad to quite, but then whenever they get together they both drink .

I will pray for you. I am trying to get off this roller coaster now. I know its still going to be a long ride.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Evangaline, he's 6'4" not 64 years old.

As far as benzos n alcohol go... that is a cocktail from hell! Our Dr would not prescribe Hubby benzos while knowing he's an alcoholic. Never!!! He was on benzos around the clock in the trauma center after the motorcycle accident to detox him from a 2 week bender that ended abruptly. Any narcs that he gets or has gotten gets shoved up my ass!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

gets shoved up my ass!
You can take them this way ?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myfreedom View Post
He is on Cymbalta, xanax and other mood stabilizer. Not sure if he intends on getting any other help. I think he is just grasping at straws here to keep me believing.
I take Cymbalta for anxiety/depression.

Why would he be taking that and Xanax and other pills all at the same time? Forget about adding alcohol to that mix.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by evangeline068 View Post
2+ months in rehab?
Is that what is really needed?

Hello MyFreedom, I read your thread because my AH takes pills too. He takes something for depression and something for anxiety and for a while also had pills for sleeping. He recently got pills from India (I found out they were Valium -thank you google). He leans heavily on the pills when he is trying to cut back on the drinking.
Since he wont fess up to being an alcoholic he lives in this vicious cycle of one to two week sobriety, binge drinking, then easing up and just daily drinking then back to just the pills, then back to a binge. Its like clockwork sometimes I can guess the day he'll fall back down and binge.

I was surprised by Chantall88's comment about the 2 months inpatient. I didn't know it would take that long. That may explain why he wont admit to it and wont do anything about it (my husband at least).

He moves out in 1 week. (time is flying) Unless I can do something with the courts between now and then, he'll get the kids 50%. I am documenting everything I can and sending it to my attorney.

I do want him to recover. And I do want him to have time with the kids. But he really needs to get control of his life first.

Your husband being 64 is worrisome for me. That's a long life time of drinking to overcome. My AH's parents were both alcoholics. His mother passed 8 years ago from it at around 61. His Dad is still around he's 72 now. He calls his dad and try to convince his Dad to quite, but then whenever they get together they both drink .

I will pray for you. I am trying to get off this roller coaster now. I know its still going to be a long ride.
He is on his dry spell right now. Day 9. I see him getting agitated at nothing so I am waiting for the ball to drop. But once again, he says he is done with drinking and needs to get his life in order before he loses his kids totally. Not sure how much meds he has left and don't think he persued the "drinking pills" anymore. I wonder each time we go thru this part, " is he really gonna do it this time?" I don't wonder anymore because I always get the same answer, NO!!!!!! So its just a matter of time.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessicajoe View Post
You can take them this way ?
LMAO

In other words... if he gets a script of narcs/controlled substance for pain ect, I hold them and give as prescribed. He's shown me in the past, that he can not take them as prescribed, therefore... they get shoved up my ass.

Luckily enough, I don't have to deal with his crap as the dr doesn't give him anything to get him in trouble because he's now a known alcoholic and been flagged. I guess you could say it's a consequence to his alcoholism. He has a very good dr IMO.