Notices

Today is the first day..

Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the first day..

I find that I am pretty computer illiterate but the need for support while beginning my recovery from alcoholism is forcing me to learn. I have never been a huge fan of "recovery groups" and always convinced myself I could quit drinking any time I was ready. Well that was just nonsense! I only ever managed to quit from one day to the next and have now wasted about 6 years of my life and health in the bottom of a bottle. I had a friend that used to tell me "if you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got". I'm ready to get something different. All advice accepted!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey there!!! good for you realizing you can't do it alone. And hell... WHY WOULD YOU???

It's so much better to have community and to realize you are far from alone in this.

Welcome, congratulations, and give yourself a pat on the back for determining that you want to change.

I'd recommend hitting AA. My longest sobriety has come with the aid of AA and I'm convinced that without including AA in my recovery, it won't last. A lot of others have found the same. Get to as many as you can at first and just open yourself to whatever you can learn from the experience of others - both the good and the bad.

Check this place daily, make a list of the reasons you have to stay sober, make a list of the experiences you've had that show you drinking only leads you down a road of misery..... and KEEP ON GOING.

You can do it.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

This old dog had to learn some new tricks in order to stay sober for more than a week or two. Read around the various forums and categories here at SR for a while. If you're like me you'll be amazed at how much you don't know about alcohol, addiction and sobriety. I thought I knew tons. Turns out I didn't know much at all!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Chef. You made a great choice to come here to SR, it's a wonderful place to get support. It is my "main" recovery group and I come here nearly every day. Hope you do the same and find the help you need. Read lots and ask lots of questions, and never forget that you aren't alone in your struggles.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Chef. I love this place. At almost six months sober, I know I could not have done this alone. I come here every day. I post one the 24 hour thread where I pledge not to drink for the next 24 hours. I attend the online meetings here on Tuesday and Friday at 8PM central. I read and try to help others, but most of all I don't drink. I only worry about the first drink, if I don't drink that, I don't have to worry about the others. I also use the chat room to get to know the others. It is a great place and I look forward to getting to know you. Congratulations on your decision. You have made a good choice.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! Are there daytime meetings on here? I work 2nd shift so an 8pm doesn't work for me. I'm sure there is a schedule somewhere on here but still learning to navigate.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. Loads of help and support here xxxx
Old 01-03-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Chefhunter.

Welcome to SR!

I've never been fan of support groups either, but at some point I realized it wasn't about me being fan of something, it's about my life..

SR is a great place of support - I owe it not only my sobriety, but also great new friends, and coming back to my real self.

Keep posting, make a plan for your sobriety, keep the faith.

Best wishes to you)
Old 01-03-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Chef! Wish you all the best. This is a great community
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome chef! SR has been a great place for me to be and I think it will be for you too. You will find a lot of support and understanding here. Keep reading and posting!