Notices

How do I get a sponsor?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I get a sponsor?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit down right now. It started when I was feeling a bit anxious so I got on SR to calm down. I have no desire to drink but I was reading other people's posts about being sober. Then I started to look at how many people either fell off the wagon multiple times.... or just dropped off the site completely. I know that there is a high rate statistically of relapse and I want all the support that I can get.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cusper

The first thing to do is to remember - other people's stories are not yours.
We all write our own stories.

If you make a committment not to drink, and you do everything in your power to always remember that and abide by it, you'll be ok.

I came here an all day everyday drinker, and had been for 5 years or so...I'll be celebrating 7 years sober this year

I'm not in AA but if you want a sponsor the best thing to do is go along to a local AA meeting and tell them you're looking for a sponsor.

D
Old 01-03-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!
I feel very strong in my need to be sober. I actually feel more joy not drinking when I am situations when I used to drink because before I felt like a fugitive. I haven't joined AA yet. But if SR isn't enough and I get the urge to drink I will.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi cuspar, and welcome to SR.

I used to get down too when I read of other people relapsing. I thought it was impossible to stay sober and that it was inevitable that at some point that I would pick up again. Not true. This is your journey, and you can make it work for you.

For every relapse story, there is a success one. Many many people join and recover. There are members here with years of solid sobriety on SR.

I'm in AA. I found my first sponsor by going to meetings and approaching someone who had a sober lifestyle that I admired.

When I arrived at newcomers I was lost, scared and felt very alone. This community became my family...I have made lifelong friends here. Look for those who seem to have found their way, ask questions, post lots... You can do this, I know it x
Old 01-03-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for that. I actually got emotional about it. It's been a really long time since I've been good to myself. And when people reach out and say things like this it's kind of a relief. I feel like I have a little but more insight the more I read and talk it out with people.