Notices

Step one

Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step one

Well, I'm here. For years I told myself I didn't have a problem. I didn't drink in excess every day, only a few every now and then. Sure, I told myself i had some bad luck, two DUI's in ten years, and getting kicked out of college, but I still didn't think I had a problem. Then a few weeks ago, I got back together with my girlfriend, we live in different towns as I am finally back in college. Things were going well, I was sober for ten days, then New Year's Eve came. I got drunk at a friend's house, passed out there and slept through a New Year's Day lunch date. I knew my drinking bothered her, and that was the last straw.

I don't know what to do now. I love her very much, more than drinking, but I still went out and got drunk. She says we can still be friends, and that is great, I'll need to lean on her if i am going to do this. I hope that someday she'll take me back.

I do know that I am done with drinking. I have finally paid a price that was too high.

One day sober, the first of many.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Life gets better Sober, you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't suggest getting sober for another person or in an attempt to gain something from outside of yourself. Sounds like you and alcohol are quite well acquainted and your consequences (if you continue drinking) will get worse and worse, never better. You can realize that now and start having a new relationship with alcohol. What is your plan for recovery?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DinMT.

I'd focus on yourself for now and let your ex be - there's a lot of support here and elsewhere in the 'real world'.

Get sober, be sober and let people see the change in you - take it from there

D
Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I have many reasons to quit, alcoholism has taken a toll on many in my family, too many of my aunts, uncles and cousins have met alcohol related deaths. I know the path that I was on is not what I am meant for, it just took me too long to see that. I'm not changing in the hopes of getting her back, that just made me see how much of a problem I have. The fact that I sacrificed one of the best things in my life for a night of drinking frightens me.

As far as a plan, I will be able to keep myself occupied with school and work. I realize I will have tough days, and for those I have a few sober friends I can call. Also, the university I attend offers free addiction counseling, something I will be using. Also, I am fortunate enough to live 20 miles form a ski hill, and the city I'm in is surrounded by opportunities to hike, fish and just enjoy the outdoors. I know I have a difficult road ahead, but i also know that I can do this.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You can xxx
Old 01-03-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

your story rings super-familiar.

Welcome, and you can do it!!

You already probably know inside that life is more joyful, rich and full without alcohol and that your best moments in life haven't involved booze - while almost all of your worst, have.

So - if you're having trouble accepting you have a 'problem' or accepting labels or terms and your mind is struggling, fighting back to prove you don't.... just tell yourself for now; "I'd rather live joyfully than miserably".

Because you know that the alcohol path will lead to miserably....

Maybe not the first time. Maybe not every time. But invariably... in time.

You're blessed to be in this place of realization while you still have a capacity and a choice to stop. Stick with it!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DinMT View Post
I know I have a difficult road ahead, but i also know that I can do this.
Hi. It's good to see someone with vision on what's happening to them as a result of drinking. I've heard many times people say " I didn't always got in trouble but when I got into trouble alcohol was involved."
Quitting isn't the big problem, it's staying stopped for the long term is where the work comes in, well worth the effort in many peoples opinion.

BE WELL
Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be strong and welcome to SR. Read, post, you can do this!