Notices

H.A.L.T. & vigilance

Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

H.A.L.T. & vigilance

H.A.L.T. musings -- just as a reminder to fellow disease fighters how having tools to stave off temptations can help. I've passed through an interesting experience just several minutes ago. I'm sober for some 95 days now, feel great and full of gratitude and joy in this little Universe of ours we all share and did not think a crisis would arrive any time soon, despite really real difficult circumstances I live with.

And than bada-boom, something really, really upset me out of blue, to the point of rage. I was able to observe the ridiculousness of the rage, almost like a neutral observer, and let it be for a tiny little bit and than, willingly, replaced it with a focus on what I need to do, work-wise. BUT - before that happened, and even after (!!) I managed to contain my rage I felt I was going to drink!? That was a surprise for me, for only a minute ago I would not even consider such an option being an option.

Than I remembered: H.A.L.T. as in H(ungry), A(ngry), L(onlely), T(ired) as a coping mechanism seems to make a lot of sense.

I was hungry, obviously enraged, loneliness is a part of my life and even bit tired. So I told myself, OK, if you'd still wanna drink after you ate, go and drink.

I ate, removed the rage, accepted the loneliness as a part of my days and am not going to work, i.e. I'm taking a break now and no way in hell I would drink. Not today.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, lack of food makes me hypoglycemic. A nice bit of food and I'm as right as rain. And if I need a nap, then I'll bloomin' well have one
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Correy View Post
Than I remembered: H.A.L.T. as in H(ungry), A(ngry), L(onlely), T(ired) as a coping mechanism seems to make a lot of sense.
HALT Rocks! I learned about it at daytox and I used it a lot in the beginning. And I still use it to this day.

What an awesome post Correy!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Great psot Correy and good job handling the craving. I like to had a S to the H.A.L.T. for SICK. Being under the weather can be a trigger for some and also we have to be vigilant with cough medicine and other stuff...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was sick, I'd get hammered every time.

Most of the reasons I relapse are because of something someone does to p!ss me off or bad news outside of my control.

I'm still working out how I can NOT drink when that happens.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post

Most of the reasons I relapse are because of something someone does to p!ss me off or bad news outside of my control.
Oh, yeah. The "outside of my control" thing. That'll do it.