Notices

What do you want out of sobriety?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you want out of sobriety?

I find what helps me staying sober is to write down both what you "want" and what you "don't want" out of sobriety. For myself, it's easy to quit, but at times it's very difficult to stay quit. By keeping these things fresh in my mind, it's been very helpful. Sure, I've had a few slips along the way, but all in all it's been pretty effective.

What I want out of sobriety:

1. Spend more time with my family and children. Good quality time, not drunken time. If I am drinking, then my life will revolve around alcohol and I won't fully be "there".

2.I want to focus a lot on interpersonal communications, being funny, talking to people, becoming more social, becoming more fun to be around. I can only do this if I'm sober.

3. I want to do more physical activities, i.e. working out at the gym, going skiing, mountain biking, camping in the summer, hiking, fishing. If I'm drinking, all of these things become secondary and unimportant.

4 .I want to read 20 books this coming year. I would never read if I was drinking.

5. I want to save up money for a new house and put some away for retirement. I have to spend all that extra money somewhere, right?

6. I want to continue to better myself mentally, emotionally, psychologically, and physically. From past experience, if I continue to drink, all of these areas will continue to deteriorate.

7. I want to be a positive person to be around for my family and friends. An alcoholic is like a tornado to be around for those close to him, and the tornado gradually gets worse, not better. I have seen this first hand. I don't want to be a tornado.

What I don’t want out of sobriety:

1. I don’t want to always be tired and feel like crap – I do this by staying sober.

2. I don’t want to be constantly doing stupid things while drunk and then regretting it the following morning, putting my family relationships in jeopardy and eventually face losing them (this will certainly happen, there is no doubt).

3. I don’t want to always be on the verge of a panic attack and suffering from unbearable anxiety – I do this by staying sober.

4. I don’t want to spend all my money on alcohol (liquor stores, bars, drinks) – I do this by staying sober.

5. I don’t want to be a liar, a cheater, and a thief. I do this by staying sober.

Hopefully this can help someone like it has helped me. Good luck
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think for me it boils down to one thing: I want to treat myself and others well enough that I can rediscover what is possible in my life again. My life and perspective are impossibly narrowed right now to "what do I need to do to get by?". I want to feel expansive and generous again - with myself and with others. Genuinely. Not that fake rosy drunk expansiveness that evaporates 30 minutes later.

Once I get to that point where I'm present enough in my own life to see what is possible, I think my lists of things I want to (and can) do will be limitless.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Please.

I want the things on the list so bad.
The problem/good thing with the internet is people cannot see the tears in your eyes and this post has brought me to tears.

I need to feel like this so bad. I can't bear my old life anymore, I would rather kill myself than have another year of drinking and drinking and drinking.

Please !!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I want a Life WORTH Living...I suppose I will find things to fill it with, over time...
Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I want to be the person my dog already believes I am.

Originally Posted by autan View Post
I would rather kill myself than have another year of drinking and drinking and drinking.
Fortunately, it does not have to come to that. Make the changes!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

autan,

It's never too late to make changes. 2014 is a brand new year! Do you have a plan?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I wanted, and received freedom. To make choices, to do what I wanted because I was no longer dancing to the tune of my addictions, no longer driven by something that was robbing me of my life.

sobriety is freedom to me.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

amen, threshold! good post.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I want my creativity back.
I want to actually think and consider where my life is going and my own growth, not just do a Scarlett O'Hara "Ill think about it tomorrow."
I don't want to get some medical diagnosis down the road in a few years that I could have avoided by not drinking.
I don't want to be the grandmother that can't be left alone with the kids cuz "Gramma drinks a little." (I don't have grandchildren, but it's possible I might within a few years.)
I want to relearn how to express my needs and wants in a non-confrontative, non-judgmental, non-angry way, which will be new because I've done a lot of stifling with alcohol, and when I do speak my mind these days, my goodness! It's rather more forceful and angry than the situation requires.
Good post. Makes me think more about what I want and why, instead of just coasting.