Any experience with child reps in custody dispute?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any experience with child reps in custody dispute?

Has anyone out there had experience with a child rep? One has just been assigned to our custody case. My stbxh (poly addict) attempted sobriety for the past year, he stopped working his programs and relapsed on Thanksgiving when he was supposed to be with our 3 yr old. He lied for 4 weeks about it and then the truth finally came out when he filed an emergency motion against me. He says it was just alcohol, but then tested positive for one of his drugs of choice - benzo (home screen) I do not want our daughter to go to overnights with him, he has had a seizure in the past, outpatients, inpatient, ER visits. Does anyone have experience with child reps and how they view addicts, how linient are they? Any experience would be helpful. Btw - it's my birthday and am looking forward to a more peaceful 2014. Happy New Year. Thank you all for taking the time to help.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have no experience personally with this but from what I hear it is good if you document when and where past occurrences happened. The more documentation you have, the better your odds of having visitation restricted, supervised or cancelled completely until a decent period of sobriety can be "proven".

It would be a good idea to get a lawyer involved to protect you, your child and your rights.

It frightens me to think of young children in the care of an active addict or alcoholic who cannot be responsible for themselves, let alone anyone else.

Good luck, you are in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Document, document, document. My sister and her husband had constant battles with his children's mother who is a real piece of work let me tell you. In the end, the rep is a human being. Alot of it depends on the person. They had a couple really super great ones, they had a couple that were terrible. They documented every single thing they could which really helped them in the end.

Good Luck, my heart is with you. How awful.