Notices

When the only thing that changes is.. everything

Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When the only thing that changes is.. everything

When the only thing that changes is everything....
Hitting me pretty hard this morning.
It's so true
and so exciting
and terrifying
and OVERWHELMING.

Today the steps feel like a lot. I'm on day 50. Sober for 50 days! That's like almost 2 months! I haven't been sober this long since my last pregnancy, and that was 8 years ago.

Have to keep reminding myself that all those years are hard to recover from, and everything has changed- and the everything is ME.

Still struggling with step 4. Mostly because I'm so good at finding everything that's wrong with me. And crawling out of this damn murk seems next to impossible.

Don't know where I was going with this but hoping someone relates and can remind me that I'm not going crazy.

I KNOW it is all worth it. My sobriety is worth everything.I guess that's a start.
Joy
Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 days! One day at a time...
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I was over whelmed too. It was pointed out to me that I only need to change a day at a time. Just do the next right thing and we will get better slowly but surely
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi SoberMama, stick with it, it will get better, just give it more time. I wish I had recognized my problem at the stage you are at, my youngest is 24!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you, Sober Mama. Having been a regular drinker since I was 15 (now in my 40s), I feel like I am only now discovering "the real me." It is emotionally overwhelming at times. Alcohol changes our perception of so many things. I sometimes feel like I am in a whole new world. I am on Day 95 and the further I get away from drinking, the easier it is ~~~ I think the holiday season is a bit overwhelming, too. It is filled with so many firsts (first sober Thanksgiving, first sober Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Christmas parties, NYE, etc. etc.) I think January will be a nice "reprieve" for a lot of us newbies.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on 50 days. What I am learning is that most of the thoughts and emotions I have about drinking and sobriety are not unique to me. In fact, I have a lot in common with other addicts. That's why this forum and going to AA regularly are so helpful. I notice you've only posted a few times during the fifty days you've been sober. Do feel free to post more often, if you wish. Even if it's only about silly trivial things. It's often helpful just to know there are other people tuned into your wavelength and hoping you recover.

I am sure you've been doing the right things. Maybe there's a little more you could do to make the path ahead even easier.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on fifty days sober!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post SoberMama - congrats on 50 days

D
Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes