Notices

New Year's Eve: An Alcoholic's Paradise

Old 12-31-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Year's Eve: An Alcoholic's Paradise

NYE is an alcoholic's paradise.

I remember the excitement that I used to have on nights like these. This was the one night that you absolutely KNEW that no matter how much you drank, or what you did, nobody would think poorly of you. Nobody would wag a finger, or bat an eyelash if you downed your 5th jello shot and then chased it with a beer funnel. Nobody would complain as you stumbled over the chairs in the kitchen and spilled the hosts wine down the front of your shirt. And nobody would cringe in embarrassment when you started yelling too loudly on the street trying to get a cab, or started mouthing off to a random stranger waiting in line at a pub or bar.

Come to think of it, maybe NYE isn't an alcoholic's paradise. It's more like an oasis. That one small little island of salvation in an otherwise empty existence.

I think this because, towards the end, New Year's Eve was the only night I had left where I actually wasn't ashamed of myself. Alcohol, after all, had more or less become my "career". That was my JOB. Drinking alcohol. I did it morning and night, daily. I was a professional. And on this one night, my job skills sure came in handy, and I even felt some praise and admiration. I suppose this is why it's such a dangerous evening for alcoholics. Tonight is a night we could go out and get bombed, and feel like we're "just drinking like everyone else". It's a great night to crawl back into denial, and feel safe and content with your disease.

Being sober for these past two NYE's has been fantastic. This used to be the one night of the year that I wasn't ashamed of my drinking. Today, I not only have NYE to feel proud of myself, but I also have 365 more days just like this one on the way in 2014.

Stay sober, everyone. If you're just getting the ball rolling, stay the course. If you've been on the track for a while, keep doing what you're doing. Do what works for YOU. Listen to others in the sobriety culture, use reason and common sense and take in all the information you receive. Don't get caught up in petty BS and the social scene. Play by the rules for once. Use caution and for Godsakes have a little patience for once in your life. Good things will happen when you start living right. Thanks SR for the great year, I look forward to a great 2014 and I hope many of the newcomers and oldcomers will continue on this path with me .

All the best, and Happy New Year's to all of you folks!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

likewise bigsombrero!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Great post, bigsombrero!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I'll be on the path with you bigsombrero. I can't believe I thought I'd be missing out if I didn't get shredded on NYE. It was never really fun - and oh, the regrets/guilt/remorse the next day. Never again.

Thank you for a helpful post.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post! Happy new year to you also!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love, love, love this post.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good post bigsombrero! Nearly everyone at work today was talking about how they were going out to get trashed tonight. I have my own plans, of staying sober! What a waste of time and money! Those of us that stay sober get to enjoy the day instead of being sick all day. Happy New year to you!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Giving this a bump as it's a hugely helpful, very well written post...thank you BigSombrero!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you! Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome post, Bigsombrero. And a very happy Sober New Year to you too!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great to hear bigsombrero ! Happy sober new year to you !
Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Great post!

This is my second sober New Year's Eve, but I also realized this is my first full year without a drop of booze in it. Yes, it's all worth it-stick to it everyone
Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Love that you said "the sober community"...we ARE a community and it's beautiful!