Funeral For Son's Friend

Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Funeral For Son's Friend

Well we are on our way to the funeral of the 20 year old who accidently over dosed before Christmas Guess who didn't show up at the house to go up with us. Yes, my son. I am so disgusted and fed up. He couldn't even make the effort to get up and go to his funeral. The disappointments never end.

We met the Dad at family weekend and talked quite a bit with him. I am heart broken for him and we are still going anyway. We feel better and more at peace when he isn't around us. How sad is that?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It always yanks my heart around to hear of the death of another young person to this disease......so very sad.

I hope you won't judge your son too harshly. This may have hit so close to home that it was simply more than he could emotionally handle. He may be pondering the death of his friend. It could be a loud and clear message to him that gets through and helps him decide to get clean and sober.

We never know how or what another human is feeling or thinking........I hope you can let go of the expectation you had for your son to attend and simply show the grieving family of this young man that you care.

gentlest of hugs
ke
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Kindeyes. It wasn't the fact that he didn't go that is bothersome. We waited and waited with no phone call. I could very much understand him not feeling up to it. It's the lack of a simple phone call to let us know that bothers me.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How very sad. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting you have more peace without an addict around. Lets face it, they give us anxiety, age us, cause all kinds of stress. It does not mean we don't love them, but addiction sure does stink.

I hope you are able to find some peace this New Year. Hugs.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you hopeful. I have been to funerals of young people plenty of times (unfortunately) but this had to be one of the saddest. The absolute devastation and grief of this family, especially his mother, was just awful. I pray I do not have to do this again.

I talked with his mom for quite awhile afterward. We both agreed unless you have gone though this with a loved one, you cannot possibly understand what it is like. The people who judge, make critical comments and who think of drug addicts as a waste of space have never had to deal with it, yet it seems more and more do every day.

Here is to all of us for a brighter, happier 2014 filled with love, joy and hope. There is always hope.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
How very sad. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting you have more peace without an addict around. Lets face it, they give us anxiety, age us, cause all kinds of stress. It does not mean we don't love them, but addiction sure does stink.

I hope you are able to find some peace this New Year. Hugs.
===============================
Thank you for writing this.
It has always been very difficult for me to admit (even to myself)
that it is such a relief to not have to deal with any of this any more.

I have my peaceful, happy, great life back without that incessant,
corrosive, and life destroying drama......that is addiction.

I'm not a bad person for wanting that.
I've always known that logically.
Your post helps me to accept it emotionally.

Thank you for that in this last hour of 2013.