Notices

Self harming

Old 12-31-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Self harming

Hi People.
I have just come across this site. I've just turned 3yrs sober and have recently started self harming in sobriety! I did this regularly as a drunk but not since getting sober... until the last few weeks. I'm scared to go to my Dr. in case I get sectioned. I have no wish to hurt anyone else.
Has anyone out there experienced similar problems who are willing to share how they have managed to stop? Blessings xx
Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kate

I'm sure others will chime in, but I've never heard of anyone here being sectioned for cutting. According to the NHS website

Your GP will usually offer to refer you to healthcare professionals at a local community mental health service for further assessment. This assessment will result in your care team working out a treatment plan with you.

Treatment for people who self-harm will usually involve seeing a therapist to discuss your feelings and thoughts and how these affect your behaviour and wellbeing. If you are badly depressed it could also involve taking antidepressant medication.

Self-harm - Getting help - NHS Choices
I'd urge you to talk with a Dr if you're concerned...even the local A and E could help?

heres some more UK links I found..

http://www.selfharm.co.uk/home

Mind - Useful contacts

You may find this forum of use too?
bus • Index page

D
Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I did it in my teens before I drank and then, now and again, when drinking. I haven't done it since I stopped drinking however. Talk to your doc, they are very sympathetic and will probably want to treat you for the underlying reason. x
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have done this in the past and hurt myself rather severely I'm embarrassed now to say. I have ugly scars. I usually did this while drinking but sometimes not. I sought the help of a psychiatrist and he was quite concerned. So concerned that he scared me. He put me in intensive therapy but there was no question of a section 8. I have not done anything like this for many years nor had the urge to do so. I hope you will seek help for this. You can be helped and need help.....you may go too far someday as I did. I never wanted to die or anything. The feeling was more just disgust and hate for myself. And a dissociative need to act on it in some manner. It's hard to explain. Don't let this go on any longer. You don't deserve this! Take care, Elseware.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sad to hear you are having a hard time. I agree with the others, seek help to remedy this and have a more happy life. Nothing to be shamed about btw.

Please take care
Old 12-31-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a former self-harmer too, I highly believe that some kind of therapy would behoove you....
Self-harming is anger turned inward. Sigh.
Praying for you.
Joy
Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have selfharmed several times this year. first time I had a breakdown while sober and slashed my entire right arm with a razor. Several month later sober again I slashed my entire left arm with a rather large knife. I now have ugly scars on both my arms. I did later get a large tattoo on my right arm to cover it up. Btw once when drunk I smashed a spirit bottle and attempted to slit my own throat, then lied down on a train track. Police came later and took me to emergency.
Although the scars fade, they are a constant reminder of the hardships we endured.
It is also difficult to explain to nosy people why they are there. Also young kids question it, everytime!
Not easy to respond to a 2 year old when she yells "WHATS DAT?" While pointing at your arms.

Anyway sorry to get off topic; please go to an emergency department if you are considering inflicting serious damage to yourself.
At the end of the day it is pointless damage that will only help doctors have an excuse to throw you in the mental health unit.
Note I AM NOT discouraging you from seeing a doctor or being afraid to commit yourself.
Please be safe

Last edited by AussieAlco; 12-31-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spell check