Notices

The last few days have been interesting

Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The last few days have been interesting

Hi All,

I've had a very eye-opening last few days and have decided that I need to quit for good. This is my first time and would appreciate any support or motivation.

I am a 26yr old IT consultant and am self employed. I started drinking daily about 5-6 years ago and it has slowly increased and increased. In the last year I have been a bottle of wine + 2 beers some nights or simply 4-5 draughts at the bar.

Over the Christmas break, I had a 4 day long binge (average 25 units of alcohol per day) followed by an unbelievable hangover with vomiting etc.

I knew then that I would need to quit because obviously this is out of control, so I tried. Then the withdrawals came. I lasted one day, and then the following evening I was back on the scotch to ease the pain and give me an appetite again.

The next morning (today) I saw a doctor who gave me a short term prescription to lorazepam. It has been kind of working but I am still experiencing anxiety and I feel like I would sell my soul for a big glass of scotch.

My question is, when will I start to feel normal again? I have work starting in a few days which is probably stressing me out more.

I've taken 2-3 day breaks before and never felt this bad. Is some of it in my head?

I would be greatful for any feedback.
Thanks,
Gap03
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My personal experience...I would not have been able to work the first few days, was crawling to the bathroom and sitting down to pee, anxiety and panic was an all time high for 3 weeks, i think i worked on day 5 but it was all a blur and filled with anxiety and lightheadedness....but everyone is different. IT DOES GET BETTER AFTER IT GETS WORSE. You can do it just keep looking forward and repeat to yourself "this WILL pass" goodluck
Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Christmas holiday season usually always was when I would have my worst binge of the year. The first time I ever experienced alcohol withdrawal was during the week between CHristmas and New Years. My experience with withdrawals is that the worst of it is over after the 3 day mark. Get some food in you if possible, fruit/veggies, and just ride it out. I would spend a couple days in isolation, relaxing watching TV/movies until I could function again.

Hang in there. Time is the best remedy.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Christmas holiday season usually always was when I would have my worst binge of the year. The first time I ever experienced alcohol withdrawal was during the week between CHristmas and New Years. My experience with withdrawals is that the worst of it is over after the 3 day mark. Get some food in you if possible, fruit/veggies, and just ride it out. I would spend a couple days in isolation, relaxing watching TV/movies until I could function again.

Hang in there. Time is the best remedy.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Gap

I think everyone is different - for some people it can be a couple of days and for others it's a couple of weeks or longer.

I don't think it's necessarily in your head - read up about Kindling.

D
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi gap
Welcome Home! It's you're body reacting to missing out on the "soothing effect" alc gives it
So no need to be alarmed. My symptoms lasted 4 days but the dt's another 30. Be encouraged that yours will pass too; then hopefully you won't take yourself thru that again
Alcoholism is a progressive disease so next time might be not so easy on you
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 14 and I feel mostly normal except for the cravings that seem to come in waves (daily). I was a heavy hard alcohol drinker... whisky and vodka.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Gap

I think everyone is different - for some people it can be a couple of days and for others it's a couple of weeks or longer.

I don't think it's necessarily in your head - read up about Kindling.

D
Thank you, Dee. That thread is gold.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah it all comes down to how the body reacts to not having what it has been used to for so long, 5/6yrs is about the same time I was going hard on the alcohol, and it took probably 3/4 days to not feel phsycialy ill, and then as the weeks went on mentally things started to get a bit fresher and clear, though we're all different.

Your body just needs to re adjust, with each day it'll get better!!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel your pain. I have been binging for 3-4 days at a time. The last two times I took days off, I have experienced the anxiousness, itching, shivering and abdominal discomfort. I know that with the number of years I have done this (20+ years) that I have probably done some harm to my body, but I also know that if I stay away from it for a good 4-5 days that everything gets better for me. I am getting to old for this. The hangovers hurt worse and I know that just because of getting older that my body doesn't heal quite as well. I am on day 1 of my who knows what number of times I have come to the conclusion that I am just not a responsible drinker.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A multi-day bender can leave you in a world of hurt. If my experiences are relevant, you should feel okay by the time you get back to working. Usually by that fourth or fifth day I was turning the corner.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it usually took me few days to feel better x
Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I figured I'd chime back in here:

I am getting near the end of Day 4 (also my first day back to work) and I am feeling a lot better.

I still get panic attacks/anxiety in the mornings but they eventually pass. One thing I have been using to soothe myself is music. Specifically Divenire by Ludovico Einaudi. I don't know what it is about his piano playing but it is so soothing and usually makes me break out in tears which in turn makes me feel much better.

I find keeping either his music or some melodic uplifting trance going in the background while I work does the trick.

I have definitely had many many thoughts about just how nice a double scotch would feel, however the pain that would follow is just not worth it. I am in this for the long haul this time.

It should also be noted that I took 2mg of Lorazepam(Ativan) on day one but have otherwise not taken anything other than lots of water and herbal tea.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great news xxxx