What Makes You Happy?

Old 12-30-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Makes You Happy?

We are all on here due to having an alcoholic in our lives somehow. It's hard enough. The holidays don't always help.

Seeing a lot of sadness on here lately. Thought this thread might be a nice break from the pain?

So, what makes you happy?

Big, little, silly, meaningful, etc - anything!

--------

I love dogs. So much! Always happy to see you, always love you. Shouldn't be long until mine is with me again (please say a prayer or send wishes! She is with family right now). Can't wait to be covered in doggie kisses lol. And to hug her and pet her.

I love cooking. It's something I'm good at and have good intuition for. Also love making really good things for cheap! It is so fun for me.

I love music.

I love to laugh! So much! Sometimes it's all I can do when feeling too overwhelmed or anxious. It feels good to laugh.

These are some things that make me happy.

You?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My children laughing, the beach, exploring new places, a long drive down the coast with the Beatles blaring through my speakers. And sleep. A full nights sleep makes me very happy.

I think I'll be taking my kids to the beach tomorrow for a little meandering.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have so many things that I love. Things that I deprived myself of for about 27 years. I love stone walls in my house. I now have them. I love to put things up on the wall, mostly pics of animals, or plates, or trays with animals on them. I was never allowed to put things on the walls. I now have problems finding another wall to put things up on.

I love gardening. I do perennials. Will be getting back into that.

Will probably volunteer at a animal shelter, even though I adopted 4 cats.

I love Christmas, and I finally decorated this year.

I love my family and friends, and will stop isolating and will start to see them more.

I love cooking. Need to get back into that.

I guess I found out that I love life.

Wish I lived close to a beach, guess a lake will have to do.

My wish list for this year ----- get back into refinishing furniture and other old things. I love old stuff, love the wood stuff. Want to learn how to do masonry work.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, I love fixing up old things as well! I browse the internet/craigslist for pretty old furniture lol online window shopping

Peace.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Garage sales, flea markets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of my house is decorated with that.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, oh, oh!!!! I can't even believe I forgot to put those things in my initial post! Lol! And thrift stores

Lol

Most of my decorating done that way too

Peace.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love:

Dogs, specifically my two miniature dachshunds. they are sleeping next to me. i got one after my break up from my exA, loved him so much that he got a brother last year (they actually have the same mother).

Cooking! I have been cooking non-stop rather indulgent foods almost everyday since Thanksgiving (made a pineapple coconut cake today), so Jan. 2, that switches back to soups and salads...

exercise and being outside, i try to walk/run/bike everyday (i live in the southeast on the coast so good weather)

organizing

doing laundry (insane i know)

reading

tv crime shows

classic movies, spy movies and action movies (odd assortment)

problem solving

massages
Old 12-30-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a Seahawks win
a Packers win
watching football WITH my husband and being quite knowledgeable, once known as the Sportsb*tch.
a nice tidy house
fresh clean laundry
quiet
snow
learning to garden, watching something I planted actually bloom!
our dogs, unless they are being hugely annoying
coming home from grocery shopping, getting everything put away and seeing nicely stocked cupboards and fridge
cooking
audiobooks
big moon rising
little birdies flitting around
my new diet/lifestyle and how good I continue to feel and how my strength and resilience are improving
meeting insane grant deadlines and creating a masterpiece of a submission
Christmas lights
naps
being HOME
any time spent with my daughter
incense and candles, aromatherapy
my own sense of humor and wit
Old 12-30-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
I guess I found out that I love life.
You made me smile. That's almost exactly what I said to a friend last month.
"I've always been kinda depressed and pessimistic -but I'm tired of it, I want to be happy"

To go back to what makes me happy.... Music.
Music can go both ways, so I have to be careful what I listen to when I'm feeling down.
I used to love to read, talk/laugh with friends, watch a movie, go on long walks or stare at the moon... I haven't done much of these stuffs lately. I need to change that -- I need to keep trying to bring back some of my "old" me.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MissFixIt- I enjoy crime shows also, really like Investigation Discovery. I used to watch a show called Cold Case Files years ago and never see it anymore Was my favorite!

AnvilheadII- You saying "big moon rising" made me think of how much I enjoy looking at the night sky.
And I sometimes wonder if people think I'm a complete dork (not that Icare) when I exclaim,"Awwwww!" while watching birds lol. Since I moved back to NY, I see so many more than when I was in the desert. So many kinds. Always love sparrows. But seeing woodpeckers, blue jays, red winged black birds, etc.

Peace.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

anvil, i knew i liked you, but a fellow lover of clean laundry and an organized house, we are alike.

i WISH i could grow anything. i have floundering ferns and herbs. they are the ONLY plants i can keep alive (and in truth i kill them off about once a year and replace them).
Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cgfox- I haven't read any books later either but used to read several at a time! Maybe I should find out where the library is here (just moved). I read a lot online, but there's something nice about being curled up with a good old book.

Peace.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love love love this thread.................

I love ironing. Haven't been doing that. Will start soon. Promise I won't iron my tank tops though. Back in the days, I would iron those also, and pillow cases. Think the only thing I didn't iron was socks.......

And Cold Case File is still on. I watch that alot. I watch anything that has to do with forensics.

I realized when I was about 39 that I would have loved to be a forensic scientist
Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And I love this scene from Anchorman:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (4/8) Movie CLIP - Ron Thrashes a Chopper (2004) HD - YouTube
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lol
Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love going out when it is snowing and catching snowflakes on my tongue.

I love making snow angels.

I love xmas music.

I love going to walmart just to talk to people, if only the check out person
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i like ncis and have recently gotten into criminal minds. don't watch cold case, but think they have reruns on a cable channel like ION.

last tv season got interested in new shows elementary, person of interest, blacklist grimm.

oh oh oh and PBS, Downton Abbey! can't wait for the new season.

i sound like a tv junkie, but i really am not. learned to DVR stuff this fall.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Criminal Minds, I just want to take Spencer home. (lol)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My sister took us (my whole family) to Cayman Islands once. She had rented a scuba instructor for the week we were there.

She finally convinced me to go under. Well after loading me down with 40 lbs of weights, I was able to stay down.

That was one of the most beautiful, memorable things I can remember. I wish I had done that with someone special.

Just the 2 of us down there, looking at the beautiful fish, and beautiful coral. Feeling like you are the only 2 people in the world. Pointing at one beautiful thing after another. It's just burnt into my memory
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I remembered one of my fave happy moments from this year....the day I got the email from upper mgt that stated that they needed to reduce the amount of vacation bank they were holding on staff and I was MANDATED to use up over 200 vacation hours. yup I was told that for the good of the institution and to be a team player, I MUST take days off, stay home and get paid to do it!!! well, if you put it THAT way.............so I've been able to take more days off, here and there and be stripped of a single shred of guilt. cuz I am a team player!!! LOL

Criminal Minds, I just want to take Spencer home. (lol) sorry, I already got dibs on that boy! he makes genius SO sexy......