Notices

NYE strategies?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thumbs up NYE strategies?

shamelessly cribbed from
Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

• Think ahead. Is it hard for you to be around alcohol? Be honest with yourself. Now is not a time for heroics. Keep your expectations realistic: if it is going to be too difficult, maybe this year is a time to do something different for NYE. Don't set yourself up to fail. You can spend a quiet time at home watching movies or hanging out with other friends, volunteer at a shelter serving food, or go to a meeting instead.
  • If you do go out: be ready. You don't have to go to every fight you're invited to .. plan what you'll say or do if someone gives you a hard time.
  • Have safe people to call - program their numbers into your phone in advance, and tell them you're going to call if things get tough. If everyone around you is drinking and it starts to bring you down, talking to someone else who is sober helps you remember that you are NOT alone.
  • Hold your own non alc beverage of choice. This is especially important if you're going to be around people who don't know you're sober. If you always have a drink in your hand, people won't hand you alcohol or ask if you want something to drink.
  • You don't have to over explain. If someone is pressuring you to drink, be ready with an answer.
  • Have an escape plan. If you can, bring your own car, or have a getway plan there, if needed.
  • Plan your exit in advance. Tell whoever is with you that you have to leave at a certain time so you don't get drawn in to staying longer than you want to.
  • Remember to be proud of yourself - shame and guilt are huge triggers. Give yourself credit for staying strong.
  • Think about the next morning, when you'll wake up hangover-free and rested. Think about how horribly you felt the morning after drinking, and how sober you don't wake up and think, "I wish I drank last night."
  • Think through the drink. If you start romancing how nice "one drink" would be, remember how many times you told yourself you were only going to have one and failed. Having one is harder than having none, because once alcohol is in your system the obsession comes alive.
  • Remind yourself that NYE is just one night. Don't put more importance on this day over any other.
  • Go to bed. If the day is harder than you expected, go to bed early just to put the day to rest. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • Believe in yourself. Getting sober and staying sober takes serious guts - you are brave and strong and true. If guilt, shame and remorse start talking to you, remind yourself that it's your disease sneaking in the back door. Let your sober voice ring loud and proud in your head.
  • Forgive yourself for wanting to drink. Don't expect that you won't be hit with a craving; it's natural. Prepare for how you're going to handle the craving instead of berating yourself for having one.
  • Be grateful. Try to focus on the gifts you have in your life, all the possibilities that lie in front of you, instead of all the things you can't have. Sober, you can do anything.
any other ideas?

D
Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Some good tips there. I am staying home eating and watching dvds with my grandkids. I have no craving nowadays but I find all the NY hype a tad ridiculous and that's not just sour grapes. Perhaps I'm just getting old x
Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Same here. Staying home and watching movies and eating popcorn. I don't want to be on the road anyway due to all the drunks who will be driving.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to bed. If the day is harder than you expected, go to bed early just to put the day to rest. Tomorrow is a new day.
Something tells me waking up fresh, going for a walk on the real start to the year 1st Jan 2014, collecting my thoughts, planning for the year ahead will be far more refreshing than the craziness of celebrating on the stroke of midnight, the previous night!!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am going to stay in bed w/ some movies and take out. I am still on a detox program for benzos and I am too new in sobriety to tempt fate on the one day a year I could be 200% certain I'd drink until I blacked out.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well said Dee the best start to a new year is waking up sober. I always wondered how waking up with a hangover was a good start to the year, but year after year found myself in the same situation .... Not this year tho wishing everyone a safe, sober and happy new year
Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Sober NYE party with all my AA friends. Should be a blast.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I've got to charge up here (and another forum, too!) and get my game face on for this NYE. It will be my first one sober AND we are hosting a party. It's not a huge drinking crowd, but there will be booze here.

I have already arranged with Mrs Non and my daughter that we will dump out any leftovers before going to bed. Can't wait until morning.

Gonna stock up on Ginger Ale tomorrow. #dietvernors.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I purposely volunteered to be on call tomorrow night from 7p to 7a so that takes care of that decision.

Horrible of me but there's something about waking up on the 1st with a big huge smile on my face thinking about how many are praying to the porcelain god. Sooooooooooooooo not worth it!

Will be in and out of here all evening hanging out with you fine people I'm sure
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am spending the evening with my sisters family, who don't drink at all. There will be lots of food and probably a movie or two and talking. I haven't talked to them in the past few years like I have in the last few days. It is only a few blocks away so i should be safe from all the drunks out driving at 1am when I head home.

I am off from work after working tomorrow, so I get 5 days off, and I plan on doing some serious gym time, outside time as weather permits, and shopping! I have been putting the money I was spending on alcohol into an envelope. It would have been pissed away, so I plan on buying me something with it. It is a bit shocking how much it actually is. I have no idea what I will spend it on, but that will be part of the fun I never really splurge on myself by just going out looking for something to buy
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I copied that one from my Women For Sobriety newsletter and posted it on Weasel1966's NY thread. It has some good tips and is good for both women and men

For people in recovery, the holidays can be tough. Seeing family, visiting old friends, having unfulfilled expectations, maybe missing a loved one you lost this year — it can all lead to tension and sadness, as well as thoughts of using. Plus, temptation seems to be everywhere, given all the holiday parties you might be expected to attend.

Don’t let those fleeting feelings sneak up on you! Start planning now for how you’ll get through the holidays happy and sober.

Sober Holidays Tip #1: Remind yourself every day how good it feels to be sober (and how great it will feel come January 1).

Sober Holidays Tip #2: Keep your expectations realistic, so you don’t set yourself up for an emotional letdown.

Sober Holidays Tip #3: Limit the amount of time you spend with relatives who make you crazy.

Sober Holidays Tip #4: Plan activities other than just sitting around and gabbing.

Sober Holidays Tip #5: If the holidays mean being away from home and your home group, be sure to attend meetings wherever you are.

Sober Holidays Tip #6: If the holidays mean visiting your old hometown, take time to see old friends you enjoy; avoid those you used to drink or use drugs with.

Sober Holidays Tip #7: Take it easy!

Sober Holidays Tip #8: If you’re flying and feeling vulnerable, ask the flight attendant for help.

Sober Holidays Tip #9: Bring your own beverage.

Sober Holidays Tip #10: Plan your own celebrations.

Sober Holidays Tip #11: Be sure there is plenty of light in your life.

Sober Holidays Tip #12: Don’t romance the drink or drug.

Sober Holidays Tip #13: Be very careful about what you eat and drink.

Sober Holidays Tip #14: Make a plan for dealing with cravings.

Sober Holidays Tip #15: Being in recovery doesn’t mean instant heaven or a perfect life.

Sober Holidays Tip #16: It’s okay to tell people you are now in recovery.

Sober Holidays Tip #17: Make a plan for staying sober at parties.

Sober Holidays Tip #18: Stay sober at the party: Serve yourself.

Sober Holidays Tip #19: Stay sober at the party: Don’t go it alone.

Sober Holidays Tip #20: Stay sober at the party: Curb resentment.

Sober Holidays Tip #21: Stay sober at the party: Be ready to leave.

Sober Holidays Tip #22: Stay sober at the party: Take inventory the next day.

Sober Holidays Tip #23: Try not to stress about holiday gifts and expenses.

Sober Holidays Tip #24: Be ready to return to your regular routine.

Sober Holidays Tip #25: Stay in touch with sober friends.

Sober Holidays Tip #26: Give thanks.

Sober Holidays Tip #27: Wish others Happy Holidays.

Sober Holidays Tip #28: Don’t get hungry, angry, lonely, or tired.

Constant vigilance can bring great joy and happiness to your sober holiday season!

~EnJOY! - Nancy
Old 12-30-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Thanks for posting this- I frequent Crying Out Now as well as SR. both rock!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Attending a 12 step sober party hosted by my mentor. There is a basketball tournament in his gym at the house.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm worried about cravings tomorrow.
It's pretty stupid really because it's only because I know everybody will be drinking so I could drink without looking like a drunk right? The perfect excuse to drink, New Years Eve. UGH!

2 weeks for me tomorrow, I'm feeling a bit better, love the no hangover, sober mornings.
I think we will have a quiet NYE at home, movies, snacks, maybe watch the ball drop. My husband drinks maybe twice a year and that is one of them, unfortunately, so it won't be easy.

Stay safe & sober everybody.

Last edited by jessie65; 12-30-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great tips or cravings here Jessie:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I shall be sat in front of the computer ,

i like to try and get live internet feeds from all around the globe and watch different cities and countries welcome in the new year … so about 12:30 in daylight london new years eve i'll try and find sidney harbour bridge fireworks to watch (thanks australia ) as you guys welcome in the new year then i like to go to hong kong , beijing , moscow , paris , london , iceland , new york , San Diego , hawaii , and see what they do in each place if anything … being in the middle of it, in london, it can see you through a sleepless night right through till new years day …

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I like to do that too Mecanix

Sounds like everyone is armed and ready. Thank you Dee for this great thread.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I really have no plans to celebrate NYE at all. Probably be in bed and asleep before midnight. But lots of plans and goals for the New Year, starting with my first full year clean and sober since I was a kid.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Staying home with my wife. Plan to order out and we have a movie we both want to watch. Knowing us we'll be asleep on the couch by 10:00. But we'll be up with the sun ready for the new year. Man....I'm glad I'm finally sober!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

mecanix - I'm in Sydney and I'll be watching the fireworks on tv.

I plan to stay home and not leave the house for any reason other than an emergency. I have chocolate, movies and my cat. We are staying put on the sofa. I'll post here from time to time so I don't go out for 'milk' and get sidetracked.