Notices

I went to the AA meeting this morning

Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to the AA meeting this morning

And it was really a great meeting. Everyone was super friendly. I was worried that I would know people since I live in the middle of nowhere but surprisingly I did not. I got over that quickly though. ****, if someone I knew was there it just would mean I wasn't the only problem drinker in my town.

They told me that there is a special group starting up that goes through each step. It meets once a week. I will try to make that one.

Now I feel good about going to meetings. I liked the energy there and people told some very funny stories that made me see that life without alcohol can be better than life with it.

But what if I do drink today? What if I don't manage to stay sober every single day now? I feel like since I've been to a meeting I have to. I am confused.

I guess this is a good a time as any to try. But what if I say I will try and then I fail? Am I doomed? Am I weak and a failure?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a really postive experience, I guess your feeling some accountability, which is a good thing, we can only do this with support.

I wouldn't worry about "failing", there's no answer as to whether we will or won't at our decision to remain Sober, best focusing on the here and now, and the fact that so far TODAY we haven't had a drink, it can be less stressful.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad you got so much out of your meeting, it took me awhile to find a group I fit in with. Going to step meetings is a great idea, it gets you moving through the steps and a fairly good understanding of them.
While the aim is obviously sobriety, the requirement for AA membership is "a desire to stop drinking". Many, many people drink initially when they start AA.
Be honest, and ask for help.

All the best
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If AA works for you, all the power to you. Good luck in 2014.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I quit drinking I had the idea that drinking just happened to me - it was like an uncontrollable force that overpowered my good intentions.

I was like a passive participant - a rag doll in a hurricane.....

But thats just not true.

I know now I have so many avenues of support - so many other coping strategies.

find all the support you can and use it

If you didn't get any numbers of people to call when you're in trouble, do get some next time.

If doing the steps is a goal, find a sponsor.

Remember there's support here 24/7, too

I know it's hard - so remember AA has a saying 'we don't shoot our wounded' it's the same here at SR...you're always welcome here, no matter what.

D
Old 12-30-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Well done on going to the meeting! I'm so glad you found it helpful

Just take baby steps for now. You're doing fine. You will only fail if you give up trying