Notices

Winter Boredom?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Winter Boredom?

Have about a week sober now after "falling off" for the last month.

Feeling... Well kinda bored. The last few days the bf and I did a lot of house projects and today I woke up and don't feel like doing anything and kind of depressed. Been cooped up all day as it blizzarding again here, not outside weather.

Just wondering what other folks here are doing to keep busy when your starting to get cabin fever?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Being really lazy and watching comedies
Old 12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 1 Week Sober!! especially as it was Xmas week!
I know what you mean, sitting in with many hours to pass can be tough!! If i'm in the house I watch old box sets of favourite shows/films, gonna be digging out "Band of Brothers" for this coming week, I've started to get back into reading books again, watch a lot more sport on TV, games online also take up a lot of time, online scrabble is my current game of choice.

All of the above enjoyed with gallons of my rediscovered interest in trying out different Green/White Teas
Old 12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am four months sober and have rediscovered my LP record collection, read books, watch movies and bundle up and run or walk outside, even in bad weather.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions : )

There's actually a lot of things to do despite the weather, I guess I'm just having a lazy unmotivated day. My body is probably trying to recover still from the month I put it thru, ugh.

Hope this feeling passes by tomorrow and I can find some energy.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally, I guess had a major wake up call this time, I just enjoy everything.

Today I was preparing a snow slide for my son for when get's here on new years day. I took breaks and just sat outside, thinking I am blessed to be alive. Saw a bleu jay bird and it was the greatest thing to me.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Zoey I would just like to point out that we are passed the shortest day of the year and that every day from here until June 22 will get longer and longer. This time of year is the worst for me. It gets dark here around 6, and it has been raining every weekend for the past 4. I have found myself getting very bored since I stopped drinking especially during this time of year. But this too shall pass. I have been trying new things, and trying getting better at things I already did. What I want to do is go ride my bike! It is my exercise and social outlet and I need it so bad right now, but sigh... it must wait a little longer.

Also, some days we are just low energy and lazy. It doesn't matter who we are it is just a fact of life. Especially during a blizzard!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions : )

There's actually a lot of things to do despite the weather, I guess I'm just having a lazy unmotivated day. My body is probably trying to recover still from the month I put it thru, ugh.

Hope this feeling passes by tomorrow and I can find some energy.
I don't think I had the energy or concentration to do much of anything the first month or two. It is okay to feel tired after only one week, give yourself time. I am still feeling fatigued at the end of each day.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been a little bored the past few days too. Watching lots of movies, working out, going to meetings, and trying to enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts. See if you can find some ice skating or other winter activities to enjoy the lovely weather....
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started to get some energy back, then came allergies and bad weather and the holidays. Mostly I've been online, reading, or working when not sleeping.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think there's a big difference between having nothing to do and not wanting to do anything. I fall into the "I'm bored" routine myself. It's dark, it's cold (where I am) and sometimes I just want to sleep. I have created a "warm room" in the home where I can work on my hobbies, read books, and generally keep engaged. Winter is long in the northern latitudes and keeping engaged and focused isn't easy. That being said Summer isn't far away and the days are long
Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Zoey, this probably won't cheer you up - as deepest winter in northern climes are heavy duty. Still: when you guys are battling with cabin fever due to deep winter, us Aussies and others also can get it - in the heat of summer.

On our stinkiest days, many of us have to stay indoors, all blinds drawn, door snakes against the gaps under doors, and so on. If we go outside in the worst of the day, it feels like one might suddenly expire!

If there are bushfires anywhere nearby (don't get me started on Black Saturday 2009...), or even a 'cool burn' (preventative burning of bush nearby by firies), then many of us also can't go outside, and have to do the same. Close everything up, huddle inside, etc.

So, yes, there is Summer cabin fever too! Our Aus summer hasn't even truly begun yet either.....

You will find ways to cope, Zoey. xx
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Summer cabin fever eh? I guess we all have unique situations to deal with!
The blizzard let up, I went to the gym this morning. Such a good way to start the day, get the blood flowing and some good tunes cranked, feeling good today : )