Notices

alone in sobriety

Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alone in sobriety

HI,
I went to my first meeting today. I was apprehensive about speaking. I have drank more than 1/2 my life and don't know what to do sober. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Winifred

I wanted to welcome you to SR - I didn't know what to do sober either - but I learned a little day by day with each new challenge.

you'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're not alone winifred! We are all here for you!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello Winifred. Don't feel alone. There is lots of fun and interests to be had without alcohol xxx
Old 12-28-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

While my husband and family are supportive, I'm alone in sobriety, too. And for the most part, all I ever want to be is alone while I'm in the early stages (day 40) of this battle. Many of the veterans say it gets easier each day, and I hope they are right!

Welcome!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR, it's good to have you here.
You might want to check out this thread, someone asked what sober people did for fun and there are some really good answers http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-do-fun-2.html
Old 12-28-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Enjoy getting to know yourself. Ive been drinking for 40 years and am nearly 4 months sober lm learning who I am and learning to live on my own. Going to aa and learning about this disease helps too
Old 12-28-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I first got sober twenty five years ago, figuring out what to do without drinking was the least of my worries, though I do sympathize with your plight.

I learned very quickly that being at home alone wasn't going to cut it. Besides going to several AA meetings each week, I filled my life with activities that I could and would never do while I was drinking, many of which remain passionate interests for me. I was very much aware that I was building a new and better life, and am very grateful that I was able to find my way.

Life awaits.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Froum winifred!!

You'll never be alone here, there's always activity, new posts to read, and some great ideas and advice from a whole range of people at different stages in their Sobriety!!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You might take up a hobby. Like playing an instrument, or knitting, or weightlifting, or making cat pictures out of grains of rice and dry kernels of corn. It's nice to get better at something, it makes you feel like you're making forward progress.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Having spent half of your life (like me) drinking everyday I think it's normal to feel a bit alone. We have to get know ourselves over again.

I'm hanging close to home during the early days (22 today) but I will definitely seek new hobbies in the new year. I will also try to make new friends that share the same hobbies.

The important thing is that you are sober in the now moment.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love your quote!!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like your quote as well. Lot's of positive messages.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Eventually I think we begin to understand we're not alone in sobriety- we share it with the whole world. Booze was what really made us alone, not sobriety.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think we all feel alone quite often, but know you are not. I have just gotten 10 months and Ifeel like everyone, especially my family, thinks I am now cured. No reason to talk about it anymore, no need for AA or a sponsor,. I am all better... it's very frustrating to try to talk about things and made to feel like it doesn't matter anymore. I feel more alone now than ever. Thank goodness for all of you at SR!! Keep checking in here, we always have your back
Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well consider it "getting out of prison". You are leaving an old prisoner life sentence caused by alcohol for a new one. Imagine how someone who served a 20, 30 or even longer sentence feels? Everything is overwhelming - but you are free and will be able to develop a great relationship with you - figure out what YOU like to do. Draw, play guitar, paint your house, garden, gym - all the things you COULDN'T do when you were drinking? There are other support groups and community outreach programs than AA if it doesn't suit you
Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Im still trying to figure out how to "act" or be "normal" after so many years too. We will get there
Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm going on 60 days sober and I feel like family and friends are questioning why I'm going to meetings, they think I am fine to subject myself to watching others drink. I am not even close, so hard for people to understand. Great job!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you know why it doesn't matter what others think winifred.
Congrats on yr progress

D
Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love that getting out of prison analogy. Imagine you've been in jail and all you've had for company for years is other inmates and then you come outside and you don't really know anyone. It's going to feel lonely, right? But you are either going to start making new friends, which I know isn't easy, or you could put yourself back in the jail. You know this is a fairly logical choice but of course it won't be plain sailing.