Notices

How long does the anxiety last?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does the anxiety last?

Hi all,
I am on day six and was doing ok until today.

I am aware of PAWS, but am really struggling. I drank about 4-5 drinks

nightly and decided to quit because of how anxious I was feeling and I knew it

was because of the drinking. So here I am on day six and out of the blue I felt

like I was having a panic attack this morning and it has been pretty rough all

day. Anyone else with this experience? I am eating well, and exercising and

taking supplements recommended for early recovery.

thanks,
Julie
Old 12-27-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 and I have been super anxious every day. Today was bad, but yesterday was worse.

How long it will last I can't say. When I got sober in 2006, which lasted 6 1/2 years, I don't remember being this anxious. Of course my circumstances are much more stressful this time with the wife and kids on the line this time.

Just know it will pass, and you will get better and move on to a healthy life as long as you refrain from drinking!

Good job by the way! Glad you are here!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 and I'm starting to feel the panic a bit in my throat. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to sleep tonight, I can feel my heart racing faster than usual. I don't feel even remotely like I'm going to try to drink; it's more that I can feel anxiety around the edges. I should have exercised today because the days I exercise, the anxiety is greatly decreased. I'm going to get up and go for a long walk in the morning.

Let us know how you are feeling and I'll do the same. Good job on getting here!

Jackie
Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happened to me first few weeks EVERYDAY - then most recently at 3 months - wanted to lock myself in the house - not leave because I was anxious and wanted to drink - PAWS can last years, with flare ups at 30-days, 60-days, 90-days, 6 months, 12-months, and 18-months. Guess it's a price to pay for the YEARS of abuse I put my body through?? I duno - but just remember how much work and difficult it is to GET sober - might be enough to KEEP you sober.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

PAWS happens in a few more months...

you are just learning how to be normal, all of your neurons are changing and are no longer being numbed.

it's a process and it does get better!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PAWS can last up to two years but I'm three months sober and the anxiety has gotten 75% better. I'm also on anti-anxiety meds which do not work when drinking so I'm feeling the positive effects of those now.

The first month I still had a lot of anxiety but it lessened by the second month and at the third month it's enormously better. I'm hoping the trend continues each month.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am very anxious too, that is one reason I drank and to get rid of my chronic pain! I just ordered some amino acids that are suppose to help along with a diet plan book to help with anxiety. I am also going to start yoga again. Need to get motivated!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think anxiety is a problem for most of us in early recovery. (PAWS is after the initial withdrawal period, and is not usually before 30 days)

Not drinking is a massive change not just physically but emotionally too - it takes a little time for us to settle down.

For some it's a couple of weeks, for others it may be a few months.

If it's concerning you, do see a Dr
Old 12-28-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe I got lucky, but after about 2.5 to three weeks my anxiety got better. I thought I was going to have to ask the doctor for something to reduce my anxiety, but it got better on it's own. This sounds silly, but every morning I did some deep breathing exercises and tried to put positive thoughts into my head. Everytime I feel anxious I try to pause and breath. This may not work for everyone, but I was pretty amazed at how calm I became.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all!

Doing much better today. I also did some deep breathing this morning and started off my day in prayer. Looking forward to finally start engaging in my life.

Yes, Dee , I am going to see a doctor as I have had severe anxiety since I was 15 years old.
Julie
Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I am seeing a doctor and am going to start going to aa meetings as well as starting to meditate, try gi gong and everything I can think of. I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again! I need my health back!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Going to urban rocks today as a family. It is a indoor rock climbing facility. I know it will be great! Have a great sober day everyone and anxiety free! I am working in it!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I caved today and drank 4 beers. I had been clean for days but was feeling so overwhelmed by all the info I am reading and how hard it is to get your health back. I had been drinking vodka, which I won't do again. I am thinking the beers will settle me down which they have. Am going to start fresh tomorrow! Wish me luck!