Notices

Reflection

Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflection

At this point on my journey I am feeling really good. Getting sober was the best decision I could’ve made, it is the foundation that I can build a good and solid life on. Nearly 34 months ago, I made the brave decision to quit smoking weed. It was really difficult for me because for so long weed had been the way that I coped with life. I was stoned most of the time and a lot of time and energy went towards getting high each and every day. I didn’t want to be a slave to marijuana, I didn’t like what it was doing to me. At the time I didn’t even realize how it was robbing me each day of a life filled with possibilities and my own self-respect. The day after I quit I took the first of many steps towards completing my post-secondary education. Today I am a college graduate who is half-way through a post-graduate program.

This summer I went to see my maternal grandmother for what will likely be the last time. Her mind was so ravaged by dementia that she could no longer remember ever having my mother and certainly not who I was. It was a very sad and painful visit. After I left I realized that perhaps my opportunity to make a positive impact in life is limited, one day I may not have the choice to uncover and expose the talent, love, and inspiration that lay dormant within myself. After that visit I made the decision to get sober, then slipped on Labour Day weekend and got drunk. I have been sober since then. I never want to drink again. I don’t know what wonderful gifts sobriety has in store for me. I just know that I am proud to be sober and that no matter what happens I want to handle it in sobriety. Thank you SR for being instrumental in this journey.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety. You sound really happy.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for sharing that Flying - Happy New Year to you

D
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling proud to be sober. Getting sober and staying sober is one of the most rewarding and biggest accomplishment in our lives.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flying4Life View Post
I left I realized that perhaps my opportunity to make a positive impact in life is limited, one day I may not have the choice to uncover and expose the talent, love, and inspiration that lay dormant within myself
This is very true, I can relate to what you were saying about your grandmother, my dad had a stroke a few years before he passed away, and his short/medium term memory disappeared over night, I remember going to visit him at the hospital and that first few days I was the only person he knew by name, all my aunts/uncles/cousins had been wiped clear from his memory which he slowly regained over 6-12 months, but he never was able to work again, and lived the last few years not being able to live without daily care.

But I remember thinking something similar, there is a time limit on this journey of life, once the physical and mental aspects of life start to meteorite our window of opportunity to tap into our potential disappears.

Remaining Sober can be one step in the right direction to realising our potential!!