Notices

Arabell

Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arabell

Well cant believe ive joined this site believe me its taken a lot of courage. Im on day one and i already feel bit weird. Its a journey ive got to take before i lose all that is dear to me. Its taken me probably 20 years to realise my relationship with alcohol is not normal. I can pinpoint when it became my crutch, a way to detach from reality, it jus seems to have happened. If theres anyone out there can relate to this please answer.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us. Indeed it took courage to join and post, but I think those are big steps towards sobriety. Relating to other people that struggled with Alcohol will help you immensely.

Facing reality without being numb is possible, and YOU can be feee of this addiction.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Arabell
I remember realizing what my relationship with alcohol was...the realisation hit like a fist.

I think a lot of us can identify - you'll find a lot of stories and a ton of support here

D
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

I was also using Alcohol (and pot) to detach from reality. The most important thing I have realized since I stopped drinking and smoking is that the reality of being addicted is FAR WORSE than the reality of a sober life.

Just don't take that first drink for the next minute or hour or day and pretty soon you will have a week behind you, then a month and then a year.

Congratulations on the most important decision you have ever made!

You have come to the right place for support and don't forget... There is always someone here to lean on, so don't hesitate to post and ask for help.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

ya, I can relate. I wanted to detach from reality. I ended up with so much detachment that I didn't know what life was. I made a mess so deep I wanted to just drink to make it go away... but wasn't that what I did yesterday?

I won't lie to you. It's difficult in the beginning, but then it gets better ...and then it gets difficult again.... but then it gets MUCH better.

Come join us.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Arabell

I can definitely relate, alcohol has a crafty way of spiralling, 1 nightcap of Whisky, turned into a few glasses after work, turned into a quarter bottle a night, turned into a half bottle a night!!

The body ends up needing more and more, If I hadn't of stopped, i'd have slowly killed myself consuming a bottle or more a day!!

The good news is, life doesn't need to be this way, with a crutch, and you'll finds loads of support here from people who are trying to turn there life around for the better!!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Arabell.

It was a long time before the penny dropped for me,several years after many people were calling me an Alcoholic,I just didn't see it,I was in complete denial.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it just sort of crept up on me too. x
Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can completely relate Arabell

Welcome to SR!! There are so many of us here both having had gone through this struggle and are still going through it! You will have a tremendous support system here!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. I didn't notice it creeping up on me til I was firmly addicted. Glad those days are gone now.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A huge thank you to ur huge warm welcome i already feel better having you all out there
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its going to be a good day thanks to u all just knowing your there and the thought of being able to tell you ive got threw another day wil keep me strong bring on day two
Thank you
Arabell
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

welcome Arabel. Most of us here have had unhealthy relationships with a substance- you are in good company
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to you, Arabell

I'm new to this too, not recovery, but to this site. This is definitely a plus to be able to communicate with others about these things. Keep it up, girl. You're on the right track. Yes, it takes a LOT of courage to "do it yourself", admit powerlessness etc. I admitted it but needed a "Nudge from the Judge" to get myself into recovery - and believe me I wanted it but couldn't bring my two feet to agree with me!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Arabell! We've all been where you are now. I realized in an oddly detached way maybe 15 years ago that I didn't drink like normal people...but I went on to drink hard for another 14 years. Now at 14 months sober the old life seems like a bad dream!

You can do it Arabell! It's good to have you here at SR!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow ur replies are so encouraging ive just got back from my fitness class before i went i threw half bottle of wine in outdoor big bin. Cant beleve i have even thought about rooting it out how disgusting, but because of being able to talk to you all im pleased to say i havent fished it out. Going to shower and get out of this house. I just got to find myself again. Ive decided im going to try a short liver detox, ambitious i no and if it to much at once not going to beat myself up.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds good, Arabell. I don't know what method or philosophy you plan to use to achieve sobriety, but AVRT has worked for me. You can do a search for it if you're interested. For me going through the intro/slide-show was all it took, and my cravings dropped pretty much to zero right away. It's free so it's worth a look.

Again, good to have you aboard.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

O god dont no wot happened was doing great then friend cancelled lunch so went in shop and bought two tins of gin&tonic im gutted gutted gutted what a failure only day two
Old 12-28-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Arabell

If you haven't already drunk the G&Ts, you can throw them out and still be on Day 2? But if you have, take note of how you feel now and make a commitment to be sober from tomorrow.

Tackling this beast is not easy and many of us make more than one attempt. The road to sobriety is not a straight one but it ultimately leads to freedom. If you keep on trying, you will get there