Notices

Hunkering down, Day Six

Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hunkering down, Day Six

Day six over here and I feel good so far. However, I find myself not wanting to leave the house. I know I'm safe here, I won't drink, I don't have to answer questions. I work from home so I'm getting work done. It's not that I feel depressed per se, but I just cannot find the motivation to leave the house. I feel like it's my nest and I don't want to leave it.

Does anyone else experience this?

I am a single mom so when the kids are with their dad, I am completely alone here at the house. But I don't mind it at all; in fact sometimes the peace and quiet is nice after the chaos and noise and have-to's of when the kids are here.

My question is this. Do I need to force myself out there? I do walk my dog every day and go to the grocery store when necessary. And when my kids get home this weekend, we'll go do things. We always do. Until then, am I okay hunkering down, visiting this site a lot through the day and otherwise getting my work done? I just don't want to go into the world right now. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance,
Jackie 122213
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is no problem with not leaving the house, you gotta do what keeps you sober, my first week I was soo shattered and tired that I didn't leave on my days off work, and when I was working just wanted to go home and stay in the house.

After a while though I think naturally you'll venture out in your own time, as withdrawal dies down and you start to feel healthier, you'll want to go out to appreciate the breeze and what life has to offer.

So yeap, relax, cling to SR . . . above all stay Sober!!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, purpleknight. Your words brought me comfort.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds perfectly fine to me.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes. I still like being in the comfort of my home after many years of sobriety. ( Not all the time, obviously) Nothing wrong with that. Just a home bird
Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're doing just fine, 122213. Feeling good. Staying sober. That's what it's all about. The rest will fall into place soon enough.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm at 21 Days of Sobriety. I am exactly the same as you. I prefer to stay home, it's safe and I have everything to keep me busy and happy. My home is like my little sanctuary.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, a sanctuary is the perfect way to put it. Also, and this may sound really silly, but I have my dog and my cat here. They follow me from room to room and snuggle next to me on the couch. I've always found such comfort in pets since they have no judgment. They just want to be with us and be loved by us. They accept me, no matter what. And of course they make me feel like I'm not really alone. And they make sure that at the very least, I walk the dog and feed and water them all twice a day. Sometimes having to take care of them is what gets me out of bed in the morning.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 122213 View Post
Day six over here and I feel good so far. However, I find myself not wanting to leave the house. I know I'm safe here, I won't drink, I don't have to answer questions. I work from home so I'm getting work done. It's not that I feel depressed per se, but I just cannot find the motivation to leave the house. I feel like it's my nest and I don't want to leave it.

Does anyone else experience this?
Yes. My advice is to do what feels comfortable at this stage. That's what has worked for me.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people feel like this - it's been 6 days - it's ok to take things slowly for now I think 122213

D
Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too! I am on day six as well and find myself just wanted to relax at home with the kids.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

I Stayed home for a good while before venturing out. It was what I felt I had to do to keep safe and sober, and to heal.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am at 1 year 4 months and any chance I get to stay in my house with my dogs and snuggle up I take it! I am a homebody and prefer to be at home to anything else. Frankly, I go out so much for commuting, work, errands and business travel that I look forward to time in my home than anything else.

You sound similar to me - I have no problem being out and about and am not socially phobic or agoraphobic in the least but just prefer being in my humble home.

Nothing to be concerned about in my opinion - we do what we do to be happy, healthy and sober. That's different for everyone
Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here, day 5 for me and I am as snug as a bug in a rug here and staying sober. Too much temptation out there for me in my emotional state. The temptations will fade in time. The most important thing is staying sober. At this point, for me, nothing else matters.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't think I left my house (other than if I had to work) for the first month. The word you used "nest" is perfect. I was safe and I was sober. And considering its been 5+ years- I'd say it worked out just fine!!! (And I do leave the house now!!)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies. They really do make me feel better about staying home. My kids are coming back from their dad's tomorrow night so that will get me out and about -- but doing something healthy and fun with them. So that's good.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with the others Jackie. I was the same way in the beginning. We're very vulnerable and fragile at first. We gain strength and confidence eventually, but its fine to take it slow. We've been through a lot and it takes time to heal. Congratulations on your 6 days.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have literally been glued on here anytime I am awake and not at work since Monday, and I am glad! It might seem obsessive to some people, but I'd rather gear my obsession to this than holding a barstool down to the floor! lol
Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree, Seabee. I need something to focus on and there is no project in my life that interests me more than this one, more than sobriety, especially with my kids out of town. When they're back, I'll focus on them as well, but will still be coming to this board all the time, I'm quite sure. It's a huge help for me.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat. I am detoxing at the moment but even when this passes I feel like I am going to want to stay here under the safety of my warm comforter. I know this is because I do not know how to be in recovery or where to even begin with it. I am going to start to try and go to meetings as recommended by my doctor and I am going to try to pick up on some of the hobbies I dropped in favor of benzos and booze. When I'll do that not quite sure.

Hang in there. It may not feel like it but it sounds like you're doing great!