Notices

Trapped on the train

Old 12-27-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trapped on the train

Heading back home from my parents' house on the train. Happy to have made it through my first sober Christmas and the temptations/frustrations that has brought. Sitting at a four person table with two other guys (on their own) that are drinking cans of cider. I've been offered (and refused) one already. Also sitting just down from the snacks trolley watching everyone come up and buy their beer, wine and spirits. Feel like I'm really being tested today. 16 weeks and 1 day of sobriety tells me it's the best way but feeling extra tough today.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Nightswimming! You can do it! I'm sending positive thoughts your way...
Old 12-27-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be strong, Nightswimming!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time Nightswimming. Stay strong. You will get through it.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on a train right now as well. We shall be remote sober train buddies.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are doing well. What about buying some snacks to eat? Also, hang out with us on here.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I'm on a train right now as well. We shall be remote sober train buddies.
Too cool. Sober train buddies. I like it.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NIghtswimming, although I don't presently live there, I am also from Glasgow. The people mean the best, it's almost obligatory to offer someone a drink, as seat, a read of their paper, etc. That must b very hard to decline, I understand that drinking culture so well. Well done you.....plug your headphones in and watch a bit of telly on the iPad. Congrats on your sober days so far.......and happy sober Hogmanay.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

You will soon be home,stay strong.

Congratulations on your sober Christmas.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifetplant View Post
NIghtswimming, although I don't presently live there, I am also from Glasgow. The people mean the best, it's almost obligatory to offer someone a drink, as seat, a read of their paper, etc. That must b very hard to decline, I understand that drinking culture so well. Well done you.....plug your headphones in and watch a bit of telly on the iPad. Congrats on your sober days so far.......and happy sober Hogmanay.
My Scottish friend drinks single malt for breakfast. I can't imagine trying to stay sober in the land of whisky drinkers. At least in the states people drink watered down beer. Sending more sober train thoughts from the states!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Remote train buddies it is Tang! Hope your journey going okay.

Lifeplant, normally I love the Glasgow friendliness but you're right it is tough in situations like this. Looking forward to pigging out on Hogmonay in front of the TV (obligatory tune in to Jackie Bird at midnight of course!). What are you planning?

Thanks all for messages. Train passengers switched over at Perth so life a bit simpler again. Put my earphones in, checking in here and napping. Not long until home!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Well done you, Nightswimming! Another challenge aced!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done x
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Nightswimming;4370461

Lifeplant, normally I love the Glasgow friendliness but you're right it is tough in situations like this. Looking forward to pigging out on Hogmonay in front of the TV (obligatory tune in to Jackie Bird at midnight of course!). What are you planning?
[/QUOTE]

Ha Jackie Bird, not sure how old you are but I remember the days of Scotch and Wry: Father I M Jolly: if your too you, you tube it.

I'll prob do exactly what I did last year Nightswimming. I'll wander down the beach, walk to the end of the Pier, watch the fireworks go off in the city, then head home to bed........party girl, woo hoo.

Well done on staying strong my Glasgow friend.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay strong nightswimming - and stay close to SR

D
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Be good! I'm starting to get jealous of everyone's train journeys. Ha ha ha. I was actually on one yesterday and I understand how difficult it is. People were drinking beers at 10:00 in the morning and I kept thinking that if I wasn't sober, I probably would have already had three drinks by then. Thank goodness for books and cell phone games!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

great Job!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Do what you can do & leave the rest to Him
Well done
Old 12-28-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's just a moment, Nightswimming! You're stronger than that.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the messages. The festive period has been a LOT harder than I anticipated in terms of recovery. Believe it or not I've not been tempted to drink but the emotions I'm having about not being able to drink, others drinking around me etc etc have been ridiculously out of control. Mindfulness has gone out the window.

So on the day after the train journey home the better half and I head down to the area near us to get some food shopping and have a coffee/drink (for him). The street we go to has lots of pubs and restaurants on it and we used to go to one particular pub every Sunday for a couple of glasses of wine. We compromise now and try and go to a place which serves a decent cup of coffee as well as the OH being able to get a glass of wine. The mood in this place is different from your usual pub and keeps us both happy! But we can't get in because it's too busy...now I'm asked where do you want to go instead?

*cue meltdown* After grumping that I didn't want to go anywhere ever we went to Tesco for the shopping, walked home in silence and then I burst into tears when I got home and had to have a lie down for an hour. Such rational behaviour for a 28 year old man....

So I am now looking forward to staying in tonight, switching off all social media etc, watching TV and Films, eating a good meal and waking up to 2014 hangover free. I might even go for a run tomorrow, just to be THAT person

Next Christmas will be better I'm sure!