Notices

First Timer

Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Timer

Not quite sure what to say, except that I think I'm ready to join a sober community. Over the past year or so I've tried cutting back on my drinking (which rarely worked), and now sadly I'm planning vacations and road trips based on the ease of buying or bringing my own alcohol along. I've never been arrested or had any legal ramifications relating to my drinking but that was pure luck- I could've been pulled over at pretty much any point in the past year and been under the influence or with an open container. Giving up drinking scares me. I'm scared about what feelings and emotions I've been repressing for the last 6-7 years. I'm scared that I won't like the person I've become without alcohol. I'm scared that my friends and coworkers will come to know my secret. I'm scared that my commitment to drink for 7 years has compromised my ability to live the next 7 well.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Zalie!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

H Zalie, and welcome. Yep, giving up drinking is scary. It is taking on a whole new way of life. It can be done, though, and you are in an excellent place for support and strategies to help you start stacking up sober days. Keep reading and posting. I believe in you!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. Giving up drinking can be scary but the rewards of living a sober life are worth it.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Zalie. The good people here have a lot of support and helpful advice to offer. This place has been instrumental in my recovery. Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Zalie! You've come to a great place.

I drank for decades, and have now been sober for almost a year and a half. Your past doesn't define your present. You will be able to handle the emotions sober-you will probably feel relieved to be getting these feelings out in the open instead of drowning them with booze.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Zalie, welcome to the Forum!! . . . there are plenty of people here that understand exactly what your feeling, it can be a scary step to take becoming sober, but there are also plenty of people here that can tell you the difference it made to their lives, you just need to take that first leap of faith!

You'll find plenty of support here whenever you need it!!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Zalie

I know it seems scary at first but the benefits of sobriety soon win out. It sometimes can take some adjustment but it's worth it. Glad you're here x
Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Zalie

D
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome x
Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think you will find that people respect those who do not drink at all. That is nothing to be afraid of; trust me on that. If people don't respect that, they aren't people worth knowing.

You can and will learn that life is BETTER without alcohol and you can actually have as much or more fun and actually remember it!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Zalie. Glad you're here.
I drank for 20 years before I stopped (this past August I celebrated 5 years of sobriety). I was scared to death too but I was more scared of drinking myself to death.

I will also add that it wasn't until I got sober that I realized that my "secret" wasn't such a "secret". Co-workers, boss, family, and friends all knew- although to this day, nobody but me knows exactly how much I was drinking toward the end. Just take it one day at a time. One hour at a time or one minute at a time. Let me tell you- I've been on both sides and sobriety is better.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Zalie.As you can see, lots of support here. Let us know how things are going.