Notices

Time for change

Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time for change

Hi All,
Happy holidays to all of you amazing and supportive sober recovery members! I am really hoping that today will be the last day that I consume alcohol. While I am not a physically dependent alcoholic, I am most definitely a problem drinker and emotionally dependent. I'm tired of being on this terrible rollercoaster of craziness and I want to get off. The trouble is that my social circle doesn't make it easy for me to make this change. The other day my bf told me that I am her favorite person to drink wine with and my DH says that he will support me in my decision to quit, but I honestly know that he likes having me as a drinking buddy. His relationship with alcohol isn't as destructive as mine. I guess that I am just feeling sad and tired and I wanted to share with someone else who understands what this feels like.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on deciding to give it a go! You're going to be really glad you did.

It's not easy, and is a big change for those around us for sure. For whatever it's worth, two points seemed most persuasive to the folks who cared about me: 1) It was essential to my long-term happiness and health, and 2) The only way to break free was to make it my top priority for a while.

Really glad you're doing this. 2014 is shaping up to be a great year for you
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome LuckyGirl! This is indeed a great place for support, understanding, and advice/insight. Glad to have you on board.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LuckyGirl!!

Yeah it's tough, there are going to have to be some tough decisions made as to who your "social circle" is going to be if you are making being sober your priority. It doesn't neccessarly mean not seeing the same people, but they need to be comfortable with you not drinking anymore, and if they aren't then sobreity will have to come first.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome LuckyGirl99, there is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. You have made a life-changing decision. Those around you will just have to accept it and you may be surprised at the support you are given from some of them. I was xxx