Notices

not sure if this was good or bad

Old 12-25-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not sure if this was good or bad

sat at the table for big family christmas dinner then round comes the bubbly did not know what to say' so just a small one thankyou had a few sips over the hour then helped clear the table so poured the rest down the sink really did not want it and was not bothered at all while everyone opened more bottles and drank away during the afternoon i enjoyed my fruit juice good thing is i now feel confident that i can simply say no thank you just a glass of fruit juice for me i really did feel very guilty about the small amount i did have and felt i needed to say so i do now belieave in my self more ' hope you all enjoyed your day X
Old 12-25-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up over it Sharon!! . . . you poured the remainder out and that took courage and strength!! . . . then to go to drinking fruit juice for the afternoon is amazing!!

Keep pushing through!! that battle you won hands down!!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We often feel like a rabbit in the headlights when that happens - next time you can be more prepared Sharon

When I was offered alcohol (it still happens after 7 years) I simply said no thanks - it works

good for you for pouring it out tho

D
Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sharon I think you coped with that really well, good for you. I try to anticipate those situations, if there is a wineglass at my place at the table I say "I'm not drinking so I won't be needing that thanks" then I remove the glass and ask for a tumbler, then I quickly fill it with the non-alcoholic drink I've brought. Faster than you can say "What ...?" I change the conversation. This gives me two outs:to drink I would need to (embarrassingly) ask for a wine glass back and I'd also have to go back on what I said publicly. It really helped me in the early months when I was tempted.

Even now I think out social situations. I think some of us are used to being nice and agreeable as well as used to drinking so we don't speak up about our changed situations. And I just don't go down the path of why I'm not drinking other than to say "I feel so much better without it" which is entirely true.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You did phenomenally well xxxx
Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just say "no thank you" and that works.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sharon. This could have gone terribly wrong, but it didn't. Bravo!!!! Next time, you can simply say "No, thank you!" and move on from there.