Notices

Day 10, just left the hospital

Old 12-25-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Day 10, just left the hospital

Despite people warning me of it's potential effects a week and half ago I decided to quit cold turkey. I had done it before and thought I knew what to expect. A few days later I went to the doctor because I was hearing music and voices that I knew were not real. He assured me that this was a common side effect of quitting heavy drinking. He gave me three days worth of meds to help me relax and sleep. I felt much better and as of late have been eating well and sleeping well. I thought I was in the clear.

Late last night I was on my computer when I became light headed. My body became very tense and I fell onto my bed. My roommate entered and asked me if I was okay, but I don't remember the conversation. He dragged me out of my bed and took me to the hospital. I had haven a seizure. While common early, this happened over a week later. This time they gave me two weeks of medication to avoid this happening again. When I got home I found my computer monitor and speakers on the floor. I had kicked them over and don't remember it. My roommate heard the crash and that's why he checked on me.

Let this be a warning to any heavy drinker that decides to quit on their own. I feel foolish right now that so many people gave me advice but I ignored it. I felt as if "that'll never happen to me". I just got back from an hour long walk where I vowed to myself to never let this happen again. I'm 31 and won't make it to 40 if I keep this up.

On a side note, Merry Christmas SR. I hope everyone is having a safe and sober holiday.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great to hear your out the other side and doing well!

Your right, alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess with, it can be just as dangerous as consuming it!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're lucky your roommate found you and took you to the hospital. It could have been much worse.

Merry Christmas to you also.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're OK Ncognito
Remember to take it easy, physically, for a while too

D
Old 12-25-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're ok! Must have been quite a scare.

Good warning and heads up to other too. I didn't realize until I went to detox and insurance covers most if not all if it. Definitely worth it to be more comfortable and monitored during the critical time.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good that you immediately sought medical advice.The after effects of long term heavy drinking can take some time to clear up.Trust the New Year will be much better for you.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember your post about the music.

Glad you are ok, thank god!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad your better and thanks for making others aware.

All the best and have a good Christmas :-)