Notices

Communion Wine

Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Communion Wine

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on partaking of the communion wine.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally I would abstain. I take communion in other ways and that has always been suffient for me. That's just me. It's probably not enough to give any effects however it's a personal choice but I wouldn't consider it a relapse at all.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh that's a good question, never thought about it before, I used to go to mass all the way up to about aged 25yrs, it was only at Christmas or Easter though that drinking the communion wine was an option. I don't attend anymore so haven't ever needed to address the question in practice.

There are 2 questions really to answer:
-1. Is it ok to partake due to theology reasons - ie. what it symbolises etc?
-2. Will it put sobriety at risk?

I think if at any point question 2. is a yes then regardless of the theology ins and outs, then it is not worth getting involved and putting your sobriety at risk. Though if the answer to question 2. is no then I think the answer to question 1. could also be yes, because theologically (whether right, wrong, I don't want to get into it) the wine isn't wine anymore according to your faith.

For me though I would only take part in taking the bread, and give the wine a miss, for me question 2. would always be answered with a yes as regardless of the theology the alcohol content still present would be too dangerous for me to consume.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input, us Lutherans always get to drink the wine Just curious as to how others felt about it as I sat in church last night.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
us Lutherans always get to drink the wine
Catholics have been clearly missing out then!!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Catholics have been clearly missing out then!!
Whenever I go to a Catholic Mass I think how unfortunate it is for the congregation that the priest gets to guzzle the wine!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am Catholic and we are offered wine at every Mass.

I never take it, not even when I was actively drinking. It is a germ phobe thing for me. Either or both are adequate to take the sacrament, it is not neccesary to take both the bread and wine. My celiac cousind take the wine and skip the bread.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Our church uses mini plastic shot glasses so no germ problems.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I am Catholic and we are offered wine at every Mass
There must have been cut backs in Ireland! . . .either that or they don't trust where wine at 9am in the morning could lead!!

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
It is a germ phobe thing for me
That's a very good point!!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's an individual thing, and about individual faith - if you fear you may be triggered, or have any concerns whatsoever, then certainly abstain - just take the bread.

I never liked the idea of taking the wine, even when I was drinking.
I never felt like I missed out on communion by taking the bread.

D
Old 12-25-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Whenever I go to a Catholic Mass I think how unfortunate it is for the congregation that the priest gets to guzzle the wine!
Hi Lulu,

Got a chuckle out of this! I remember asking my mother at about age 10 why would a man want to become a priest, was it because he got to drink wine every day? I'd "fallen in love" with booze after I was allowed a little sherry that Christmas.

I no longer practice the Catholic faith, but for myself, I would not take communion wine. Representational or not, it's still alcohol, and I know it would be a trigger for me.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Some churches here serve alcohol free wine, but it is debated some think that is wrong.

It has not come up for me, apparently some time since me last communion I do not do that very often.

I would be fine with just taken the bread. We always get individual cups not of plastic though, I could make my lips wet – I am not sure I would bother though. I would just leave the cup, I doubt anyone would ask me to “finish up” .

I think you should do what you feel right. It is not a situation where we should be pretending I am sure our intentions are understood.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is an interesting topic. I know a lady in AA, who was in line for communion at mass, and a priest practically forced her to drink the wine. He was quite "pushy" as she puts it. So she finally gave in and drank a sip.

This woman has 30+ years. And she got honest about it immediately. Does that constitute a relapse? I don't think so. She got honest right away.

And she still has not drank since. She said she just no longer gets communion at church. And she's one of the finest ladies I've ever come across in recovery.

Personally, I would not even take the chance. Just like I wouldn't take a drag off a cigarette, or anything of that nature. If you are truly addicted, there's no point in even tempting fate.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I go to a Baptist church and they do communion once a month. They serve grape juice in little glasses, one each for all the congregation and we all drink it together as once. It seems like a nice healthy and hygienic approach, to me! Not saying you should change denomination because of that but I am pleased that booze is not an issue or a destraction for me in what is quite an important regular spiritual event in my life. It somehow means more to me now than when I took communion every single week.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If it doesn't mess with your sobriety then I think it's fine to participate.

If it does, then there is nothing spiritual to be gained by putting sobriety in jeopardy. I've had to alter some rituals in my faith that traditionally involved alcohol. It has not harmed my spirituality to do so.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

im going to guess communion is partaking in the Lords supper, which is to be done on the 1st day of the week. as for the wine, there is no mention of wine being used for the Lord supper. fruit of the vine? yes.

Matthew 26:29 "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."

Mark 14:25 "Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

Luke 22:18 "For I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."
Old 12-25-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Our church (prebteryian) uses individual cups and grape juice, which has been the practice at every Presbyterian church I have ever been to in my life.

Having said that, to each his own is my theory. If you can partake in a very small amount as part of a ceramony with no ill effect on your sobriety, so be it. And If you choose to pass, that's fine too. It's really between you and your god.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I wouldn't take it personally.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the interesting responses. Our church does offer wine (red) and grape juice (white) in the little shot glasses. I value everyone's opinion, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

As a Catholic I'm taught to believe in transubstantiation - that is the wine is converted to the Blood of Christ.

Like I said, it's an individual thing and if the idea worries you in anyway, I think it's legitimate not to take the wine.

I don't take the wine, but it's for practical reasons - I'm already struggling with kneeling down let alone taking the chalice.

D