Notices

The Ghost of Christmas Future

Old 12-25-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Ghost of Christmas Future

Who else woke up this morning anxious? or like me couldn’t really sleep last night, my mind was replaying over and over the situations I may come across during the day and what my game plan was to deal with them, the visiting of relatives that I hadn’t seen since last Christmas that don’t know yet of my decision to now be Sober, who upon entering the door will offer something to drink, or the getting together with closer family members for dinner, once again a bottle being passed around to top up glasses, or how about sitting on my own after all that was over, just me and the TV on Christmas Day, with the odd text message inviting me out for a traditional Christmas Guinness, how was that all going to play out, would I make it, will I finally meet my nemesis, Christmas Day?!

So upon waking, you know that feeling when your not too sure if you were actually asleep, but just lay awake all night long, drifting in and out for 10/15mins now and again, when the alarm clock goes off? the feeling of tiredness was intense, but still better than being hungover. The plan was to get around all the relatives by noon, in most societies that would have been a sure fire way of not being offered a drink upon arriving to someone’s door, but not in Ireland, the tradition is a Xmas pint in the morning and the drinking continues all day, my aunts/uncles where steamrolling through their first bottle of wine or had already opened the Jameson’s by the time I arrived. It was a quick in and out for most of the visits, the “I’m driving” line didn’t always work, and so an assertive “I’m not drinking” had to be used on occasion, you’d think saying no at 10am to a drink would be enough, but I knew I was gonna need more ammunition than that.

It was then time to go across to my mom’s house, my sister is back from London, over with her fiancé so it would be the 4 of us for Christmas dinner, I knew if I got this far without any slips, the day would be getting easier, my mum doesn’t drink, so I was having whatever she was having, upon entering and offered a drink, “whatever mom is having”, I’ve no idea what it was but it was non alcoholic and pretty tasty, some kind of fruit juice mixture, the only thing I needed to watch was what my sister and her fiancé were drinking, having a bottle of wine right in front of me on a table was tough going, I just kept offering to top my mom’s glass up with the fruit juice drink, and at the same time topped my own glass up. With dinner over, I shortly after made my exit, prior to to the after desert liqueurs etc coming out, all I knew was that I needed to get out before the Baileys started flowing.

I’m now sat on my own, with the TV on, a pot of Green Tea beside me and some chocolates, this is my plan for the rest of the evening before bed, and I am looking forward so much to a hangover free morning tomorrow.

On reflection though I am now really confused about Christmas Day, the idea of not being able to “enjoy” Xmas without alcohol doesn’t now ring true, I won’t lie and say I enjoyed today, it was a bit of a chore and I got through it, it was more of a relief, but when I think about it, did I really "enjoy" it in previous years?

Every Christmas day for years has meant waking up with a hangover from Xmas Eve drinks the night before, I would be nursing that hangover and headache well into the afternoon, trying not to throw up on a relative’s carpet, I would then reach for a cure in the form of a bottle, which finally led to a quick spiral to the inevitable blacking out back into bed! Was that really enjoyment?

Today might not have been earth shattering, but maybe our expectations are far too high for Christmas Day, I spent time with my family, we had a laugh, my family won’t always be there and maybe I added to their enjoyment of the day by going to see them all, I ate some nice food, we sang some songs, I’ve watched some good TV, and now feel relaxed with a cup of tea, my body will thank me for not poisoning it once again, and if that sees me live for many more Christmas Days to come then maybe that’s what Enjoyment/Happiness really is!!

I wanted to document the day and have a reference point for when times get tough or come next year, when I’m stressed about how I’m going to do it again!

Throughout the day I’ve been checking in to SR now and again, posting where I can and reading the new threads, having some moral support has been priceless as I’ve gone about my day!

Thank you all!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing day. Think about how great it feels to have a clear mind and staying sober over the holidays is such an accomplishment that you can carrying with you into 2014.

Enjoy the day and here's to all of the blessings we have.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

Good idea to log this day for the future, and well done in making it through! I'm having an Irish Christmas in England, now taking a break upstairs while the chat flows downstairs, checking SR and keeping an eye on my daughter. And we won't be hungover tomorrow!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done! I agree with the fact that Christmas day can be fun, a different fun than when we used to get hammered. My son was over this morning with his mom to open his gifts. I would usually be half in the bag already.

Man was I ever calm, just relaxed and enjoying the moment. We had a nice Christmas dinner than played Monopoli. And my son kicked my a.. LOL!