Notices

Hey Guys

Old 12-25-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Guys

Hey!
how is everyone, i'm newish to these forums and i just wanted to touch base with other people who feel as i do, sometimes it makes u feel like a outsider, i mean i'm mostly functional, studying biotech i do suffer from anxiety issues and depression, which alcohol seems to be a... nice vacation from :P but i seem to have a problem with saying no to the next drink :/, but anywhoo, just saying hi, n yeh, Merry Christmas!
xo.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Grant

Congrats on realising you have a problem and would like to address it.
What's your plan?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Grantious

D
Old 12-25-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure i have one, i'd require some other way to sooth my emotions. i mean i have a psychiatrist psychologist n a neurologist (because of nerve damage) (is painful neuropathy) (which i suspect is because im an alcoholic but im quite young so how that happened is a mystery. im also quite secretive about my problem, as far as professional help goes, i dont look like what most people wld suspect would b an alcoholic, though i kno i sld.. geh so complected, sorry ranting :P
Old 12-25-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately addiction is no respecter of age or intellect Grant - it can literally happen to anyone, as you'll find reading around here.

I used to think I'd need some replacement thing to 'soothe my emotions' too - but I was just terrified of feeling anything really.

I found the reality of feeling was not nearly as terrifying as I'd imagined it to be.

I hope you'll find the same - and of course you're never alone here...always tons of support here

D
Old 12-25-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Grant.

There is a solution I think - it is just finding what is the right solution for one.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

other addictions i've killed, like smoking and eating, haha oddly enough alcoholism is the worst of all! least wif nicotine n food, thoes vices only made me feel better for... like 5 seconds, alcahol i have hours.. a day off you kno! then the next day sucks.. but not the point haha
Old 12-25-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi grantious, the fact that you found SR means the drinking is playing on your mind. I suggest you do some research on the internet, maybe talk to your psychiatrist or another counsellor, and get you mind straight about what drinking is doing to you.
There are lots of people on this forum who weren't your classic drunk on the streets alcoholics, but were alcoholics nonetheless. I am one of them, and I never missed a day's work. None of my friends thought I had a problem, but I did and I knew it.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ohhh haha i'm well aware of the neurotoxic emotional ,hormonal and physical ramifications of drinking long term. my friends say thats the worst part of my problem (my best friend who knows.. everything about me), i have a full understanding of the consequences but hardly care, well i do, its.... expensive n makes me sadder the next day, n i think its effecting my social skills, but. yeh. i do want another way to feel better.. but yeh.. i find myself asking how
Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I was functional in my drinking days as well... I look back now and see how that was just a facade I hid behind. I may have made it through college and maintained a good job but I was void of joy and hope. And oh the anxiety. In the end it was so awful I needed a mild sedative just to make it to work. Yuck! You'll find a lot of hope and support here
Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

unfortunately i think benzo's would make my problem worse!, although im hoping for a anticonvulsant for my nerve damage (not that the nerve pain isn't unpleasant) , apparently the sedative effect is good for anxiety!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Grantious welcome to SR.

Had to smile at your post.

I had the idea that alcoholics were in doorways or park benches with bottle in paper bags.

A lot of us carry out responsible jobs, lives, commitments , but we just can't partake of one drink. It goes on and on and over time we are more tolerant so one drink turns into a bottle to get the same effect. It does get worse and can be life ruining if we feed out addiction.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Grantious Welcome. I like the way you conquered your other addictions, you will be able to master this one as well with help and support. I go to AA and I find that working the programme has helped me so much. There are other support groups although I am not au fait with them. I am sure more members will be here to let you know about them xc
Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! . . . yeah I have that problem too, I can't say no, once I start I can't be stopped, 1 beer or 1 glass is no good, I need to get drunk! . . . but like your other addictions, this one can be conquered too!

Merry Xmas!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How do you guys find the strength? .. i keep wanting to... so hard tho!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Took me a long time, I just kept giving into my cravings again and again.

Something has to give tho, rock bottom, it sometimes takes that before we crawl back up, if we' re lucky enough.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to really want it Grant, and that meant making changes in my life - what I did and who I did it with - and finding support.

It's hard to be different, especially when you're young - or it was for me anyway.
- that why I think support from other sober people is so crucial.

I wish I'd cleaned up at your age though. I really hope you stick with it
D
Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope you stick with it too Grant! I wish I took stock of my life and realized my issues when I was your age.... The years roll by so fast.

These boards are so full of helpful and wise people who are so willing to help and share.. Come here often and read, post, ask questions ~ it helps a LOT!

You can do this, and you will be so happy that you did!!!

Welcome to SR!!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi. You sound like a clever person. I hope you embrace your brains and have a fabulous life. In my experience it's just a case of try, try and try again until you get there. Good luck xxx