Notices

where to go what to do

Old 12-24-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where to go what to do

I have been sober for a little over a year now and I was wondering where do people go on vacation while sober. Is there a resort/destination sober people go to? I am truly bored to death in sobriety and don't really know many sober people very well. The one sober person I know the best likes to hide in his shed and work. On what I'm not sure, I never see anything get fixed at his house. I'm divorced with no children and have only been on one date since I have sobered up.
I used to go to Las Vegas or Atlantic City and play cards and gamble but feel out of place now since I don't drink. The last time I played poker while sober, all I could think about was, how good a shot and a beer would be.
I don't like cruises, even drinking they were too confining. I like adventure and travel, just don't know anyone sober that does. The aa meetings I go to are made up of a lot of people who just got out of rehab/ jail or are just finally getting their feet back on the ground. They are more worried about getting a job or the family life back in order.
Honestly I don't really look forward to time off from work like I used to because its me by myself remembering what I used to do. I have checked online for sober vacations and not much shows up.
Any recommendations from trips taken or that you have read about would be appreciated.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went on a fishing trip last summer, and I can honestly say I might do it again this year, camping out, fishing and chatting was great, alcohol didn't come into it, as we where miles away from the nearest bar!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Joe! That is a great question. My best vacation was a Rainforest in Central America. If you have never done it, then I highly recommend you do. Have you checked out the Appalachain Mountain Club or the Safari Club? Figure out your passion and then chase after it!!
Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you ever shot a bow? I find it to be an almost spiritual activity. Archery is an extrmely fun and relaxing sport. So is hunting if you are into that. Being up close do big game gives you a feeling that no drug can. I LOVE archery. It really was my go to activity when I stopped.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you want an adventerous vacation, get a bow, practice, and go on hunting trips. You will get excitement, see beautiful parts of our country that others only see in pictures and you will forget anything else exists. You will meet great people too.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My favorite vacation spot is a beach, any beach. It doesn't matter what kind of weather it is, but just to be able to walk by the ocean is amazing to me. It helps me to put my life in perspective.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think your best bet (if you like this sort of thing) is hiking, white water rafting, climbing, outdoorsy stuff. I know around here we have university alumni associations (don't have to be an alumni to attend) set up trips like this often. Another suggestion would be to find an interest and then see if there is an online group and start talking.

My son (not an addict, he just doesn't drink much) moved to a new state for his job. He basically had to start over making friends. He joined the local recreation commission who had co-ed "intramural" teams (volleyball, softball, ice hockey, even kick ball!), they then started having dinner together before games, and finally they have planned several rafting, hiking, beach trips with them.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi- There are actually sober groups that go on vacations together. If you google sober vacations I'm sure some if them will come up. They are groups geared to people who want to take a vacation in a safe environment with others that do not drink. I was thinking about going on one of these myself. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Joe,
Have you heard of Meet-up.
It is all over the world and is full of people local and otherwise that meet up to do lunches, dinners, adventures, activities, bush walking, you name it, there is a group that do it.

Google 'Meet up' and see what groups are in your area, plenty of no drinking activities there as well and its a fabulous way of meeting new people and making new friends. Or you could start your own group...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I just searched "sober vacations" and found a few sites you may be interested in....do a search and see what you come up with!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Oh well, while people are throwing out ideas here...

How about a train trip? Have you ever crossed America at "see level?" Amtrak's long-distance, double-deck trains are very comfortable. There's a glass-dome lounge car, but they've actually taken out the bar and moved it downstairs. There's not much drinking and very little intoxication on trains. It's a great way to see the country and get to know its people.

(Or take a train across Canada--there are rumors that their cross-country train's days may be numbered).
Old 12-25-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the ideas. Seabee, I shoot a parker Blackhawk crossbow and yes it is relaxing and I do try to meditate when I'm in my stand. By the way, I was an IC3 when I left the navy.
Notimetoloose, I looked up today meetup.com and signed up for a couple groups. I never even heard of this group before your post. Thank you.
Even though I live in the same place I grew up, I feel like an outsider trying to find new people, places and things to do.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Notimetoloose, I looked up today meetup.com and signed up for a couple groups. I never even heard of this group before your post. Thank you.
Meet up.com is great, I often join a group meet up last minute, sometimes I just need to get out and I can go on line and literally see what is going on across all the groups and find something that interests me for that day, apart from the groups that I am a member of. Usually a great group of people as well.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I was looking for a trip this summer to Colorado with my kids, I noticed that a lot of the "dude ranch" trips are sort of divided into those where they offer alcohol and places where they don't (some say you're welcome to bring your own but they don't sell it there). They usually specify on their description page whether they serve/offer alcohol. It's all very outdoorsy stuff, riding horses, whitewater rafting, camping, hiking. If you just search "dude ranch" you'll see lots of options, particularly in Colorado. Good luck and have fun wherever you end up deciding to go!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes boating trips or camping are great.xxx
Old 12-26-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Go to the beach. Or visit family someplace. Or if you're a runner, sign up for a race in a different city, it's a fun way to see a new place. Or go to the mountains for a ski trip. Or go to Las Vegas and watch shows, or go to Nashville for country music and ribs, or go to Austin, TX for some barbecue and blues. There are as many vacation ideas as there are leisure activities, you just go somewhere to do something.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe21915 View Post
I have been sober for a little over a year now.
I'd love to be in your shoes...
Old 12-26-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe21915 View Post
I have been sober for a little over a year now and I was wondering where do people go on vacation while sober. Is there a ...
Any recommendations from trips taken or that you have read about would be appreciated.
Scuba Diving. Even freshwater diving has tons going down there....Beware of the Bluegill....no I am serious they are evil.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cycling and cycle-touring are great sober, as are backpacking trips. Yoga, gym, etc are great for evenings.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never loved working out, hiking, backpacking, almost 2 years sober and my husband and I now do ultra light backpacking, I do cycling and have lost abt 70 pounds. It is all about finding your new passions and building a community around that! Good luck!! Meetup is a great start. Ever ride a motorcycle?