Notices

Need Advice

Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need Advice

Hello,

I haven't posted in here before. I really need help and support to get sober. I have just started trying to stop drinking. I know I have a tough road ahead and need some advice on what to expect? What can I do to help the cravings? Your help is much appreciated.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi JPeep, welcome to SR!

What to expect will be different depending on whether your body has become physically dependent on alcohol. We do not give medical advice on this forum, but please do a google search for withdrawal and consider consulting your doctor.

The hardest part for me in the beginning was changing my routine and getting past the witching hour when I'd start drinking. I stocked up on lots of non-alcoholic beverages and chocolate. Had a plan every day. Very helpful for me were things I learned here such as 'play the tape'--this means that when you're craving, think it all the way through. What is it going to look like in 2 hours or the next day? Another helpful tip is 'urge-surfing'--when you are craving, what is going on? What are you feeling? Can you get in touch with why you want to pick up and then distract yourself until it passes?

You can do it, JPeep. Your head will clear a bit the further you get away from your last drink. Come join the Christmas thread to get through the next couple of days. Rooting for you!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! To avoid sugar coating, I'll skip right to the tough part. The first week or so will be really tough. The trick is to occupy your mind, and no matter what do not drink. Easier said than done probably, but tell yourself that no matter how crappy you feel, you will NOT drink. Sleep a lot if you have to and see a doc if needed because withdrawals can be dangerous.

There's so much more to add after the first week but for now, just focus on not drinking, a day at a time.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You might good AVRT and check out the "bullets for my beast" slide show. It really helped me.

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jpeep

D