Notices

Finally waking up

Old 12-24-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After nearly 15 years I am finally starting to wake up and admit I am a drug addict. I have a beautiful Son whom I share care of and I work full time. I am only just keeping my life together. I live alone except when my son is with me so I can use easily. My family and some friends know I have had issues with depression and have used drugs at times. They have no idea how bad things actually are. I started using drugs and alcohol when I was 13 and used heavily until I went to rehab at 18. After that and over the next 8 or so years I managed to drink and take drugs occasionally although codeine and xanax were taken daily. For the last year I have been in a living hell. I am smoking meth 3 times a week, taking large amounts of Ritalin daily, codeine daily etc. Luckily i had such a hard time detoxing from xanax that I didn't touch that this time. I am seriously underweight, emotional, sick and so unhappy. I can see everything unravelling as I am becoming unable to keep my life looking amazing and functional. I went to rehab again in June this year but told myself I was only going for a break. That I wasn't an addict, that I only used as I was depressed. This is what I told my family and friends who seemed to buy it. I didn't use for a week after I left (pathetic I know). And then I was back in full swing. Taking increasingly larger and larger amounts of drugs and making excuses to myself about it. It finally hit me the other evening as I sat on my laundry floor smoking meth at 3am. I am an addict. I am one of the people that I scoffed at when I went to NA meetings at rehab. I always told myself that I am not one of them. That I can control my use. I can't. I need help. I need to get clean.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lucy! You'll find plenty of support and information here.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Awareness is the first step to making positive changes in our lives. I can definitely relate to your story as it has taken me many trips to treatment and several years to not only realize that I had a problem, but slowly begin to understand the problem, what I can do, and then begin to make changes.

Glad you're here and opening up to the group.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lucy. We are glad to have you here.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lucyishere View Post
I am one of the people that I scoffed at when I went to NA meetings at rehab. I always told myself that I am not one of them. That I can control my use. I can't. I need help. I need to get clean.
Go back to NA. Insteading of scoffing, you can share.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello lucy. I was in denial for years until I literally had nothing left, and I mean lost everything. The day I asked for help saved my life. Well done, that is a huge step you have taken. Be totally honest with your doctor to start. You can do this.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you made the most important step. You admitted to yourself that you have a problem. You have no hope until you can do that, and you did it!!!

Welcome! Stay here! I am only on day 2 of my sobriety, but this place helps. You aren't alone.