Notices

With a nod to Virginia & Francis Pharcellus Church

Old 12-24-2013, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

With a nod to Virginia & Francis Pharcellus Church

Dear Santa,

I am 58 years old.

Some of my drinking/drugging friends say sobriety is too hard to retain.
People I admire say that "if you see people recovered, you can be too."
"Please tell me the truth, is recovery possible? Can you not drink and drug in a drinking drugging world?"

Virginia your drinking & drugging friends are wrong, it is not too hard to retain, most of the world does not drink and drug. Your friends have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe life is possible without chemically induced mind changes. They think that happiness and joy need to be helped along.

Yes indeed sobriety exists and it is as certain as love and generosity and devotion, the things you feel and know whether or not you act upon them. Alas, how dreary the world would be without sobriety. There would be no real faith, no genuine poetry, no sweet romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment except on a high. The eternal light with which sobriety fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in your ability to be sober! You might as well not believe in fairies!

Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else more real and abiding than constant sobriety -- and love.

No sobriety! Thank God! it lives, and it lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of humanity and reinvent the people who adopt it.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haaaa, nice feeling good thread!