Is conservatorship of the addict possible?

Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is conservatorship of the addict possible?

Does anyone know of an addict being conserved either by a family member or public guardian? If do, how did it happen? I understand that you can't force an addict into treatment but there seem to be some cases where it is court ordered, though that would usually require an arrest. Could a conservator force treatment?

My AB would not go willingly into rehab. In the past, the only time he's cleaned up is when he went to jail or overdosed. His last overdose was really bad and caused some damage, so I'm really scared of waiting for that to happen again. He is on disability for mental illness and has reached the point where he can't take care of himself and will probably be homeless soon.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Different states have different laws; however, it's very difficult to gain conservatorship over an adult, as it probably should be. You would most likely need to convince a judge that the person is a danger to himself or others. While it may sound ridiculous, simply becoming homeless isn't enough. There are millions of homeless people, but we can't just round them up and put them somewhere.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As suki said...it's usually difficult to do. However if your child has MI and is on disability perhaps you should contact an attorney, in your area, that deal with conservatory. He/she should have a free consult on the requirements.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope888 View Post
Does anyone know of an addict being conserved either by a family member or public guardian? If do, how did it happen? I understand that you can't force an addict into treatment but there seem to be some cases where it is court ordered, though that would usually require an arrest. Could a conservator force treatment?

My AB would not go willingly into rehab. In the past, the only time he's cleaned up is when he went to jail or overdosed. His last overdose was really bad and caused some damage, so I'm really scared of waiting for that to happen again. He is on disability for mental illness and has reached the point where he can't take care of himself and will probably be homeless soon.
I understand your pain. I can hear it in your words. My husband is a heroin addict. He willingly went to rehab for 30 days... relapsed. Then he went to treatment for 4 months... relapsed. Then he went to jail, and now he is awaiting sentencing and will be going to prison. Rehab won't make your BF sober if he does not want to be.

I'm an addict too. I've never been to inpatient rehab and I'm just over 3 months clean. An addict can't get clean because they love someone, or because they have children, or they're homeless. The pain of using has to outweigh the comfort found in it.

I wish that there was a way for me to twist my husbands arm and get him into real recovery, but there is no way. We both have pleaded and threatened and begged and cried. We have gone no contact and thrown eacvh other out of the house. It just doesn't work that way.
Sending hugs and support. We are all here for you.
Lily