Notices

I'm going to the doctor tonight and have a question

Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to the doctor tonight and have a question

I've decided to come clean about my alcohol consumption and my desire to stop. I am currently averaging about 1.5 bottles of wine per night. I am 6'5". I want to stop but I am worried about going into withdrawal, probably needlessly so. I am going to ask my doctor for an anti-anxiety medication. What medications have you taken to help with your withdrawal periods?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are a lot of anti-anxiety meds but we can't give medical advice here TooTall. Great idea about going to see your doc, make sure you tell him everything about your drinking/addiction history so he/she can prescribe something appropriate.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeap best thing is to be upfront about things and you'll get the best treatment!!

Good luck for tonight!!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, not looking for medical advice I am curious what others have taken and what has worked.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't take any meds at all too.tall.

There's nothing wrong with any of us sharing our experiences, but the problem is that no one med is suitable for everyone.

What works for someone else may not work, or even be suitable for you, y'know?

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr and I hope together you two can work something out

D
Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are going to talk to your dr. I didn't use medication either, but your dr will advise you on that.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in 15 days without medication or doctor visit. I don't recommend it to anyone. Glad you are more responsible than me and seeing a doctor ;-)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi too.tall. Welcome to SR.

I stopped in July and was drinking up to 3 bottles of wine, mixed with tonic water, I blindly thought the tannin would help me not dehydrate! I just stopped, I didn't take any advice but a few months later had anxiety/panic attacks so am now being treated from the doc.

It does seem a wise step to go and visit the doc and lay your cards out, I'm sure they will be most helpful.

All the best.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi- I was drinking several bottles a day and when I stopped, I received withdrawal meds in detox for a few days. I haven't heard of anyone receiving withdrawal meds for home use but maybe it's possible.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm back from the appointment and I was told that I wasn't drinking enough to require meds and that an adverse withdrawal was highly unlikely. I was advised to make a goal of no more than three drinks and stop. I was the most honest about my drinking with any health care provider to date. I made it clear going into the appointment that I didn't visit listed as an alcohol consult. The appointment was listed as a sleep consultation.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Makes sense. While 1.5 bottles a day is more than you should drink, you did say you are 6'5". That amount of alcohol is probably not affecting you as opposed to say, a 5'2" woman drinking a fifth of vodka a day. If you're still concerned I'm sure most outpatient detox centers would never send you off with the advice of cutting back. Can't say for sure (never been to one), but it's why they exist.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was urged to get down to no more than 3. The rubber will hit the road if I continue to drink 1.5 bottles. My immediate concern is having severe withdrawals. I know that I am harming my body at my current consumption level and my goal is to stop, but no more than 3 a day. I know that moderation is not the popular theme here but I am being honest and hopefully others in a similar predicament will learn from what I have posted. Happy holidays.