Notices

Day five wobble

Old 12-23-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day five wobble

Day five today, and once again as always happens, the wobble has started and my mind has started wandering. Five days ago I'd decided enough was enough, I'd had enough of feeling like crap, of waking up feeling lethargic and tired and of wasting my money for something I just didn't get any enjoyment out of. And now, after a few days of feeling fresh and having not drunk, the cravings are coming back and the mind is starting to ask the same old questions.

Why shouldn't I just have a few beers for the football tonight? It's Christmas this week, am I really going to deny myself a few beers? With January just a week away, why not just enjoy a few beers over the next few days and start from scratch as was the original plan? A new year, a new start. And I think it's that final point that's nagging away at me the most. For the past 18 years I've always had a drink on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Every year without fail. It's what Christmas is for, right? And it's SO easy to use January as the excuse to drink for the rest of the year, who gives anything up halfway through the last month of the year?

Of course, I also have the common sense voice ringing around in my head. There's a reason why I'm feeling fresh, why on earth would I want to wake up on Christmas Eve or Day with that horrible feeling when the kids will be so excited? And surely if I'm serious about giving up then I'll be sober every Christmas, so what better time to start and show intent by staying sober this Christmas? And most importantly, remember how I felt the last few 'days after' and what prompted me to sign up to this site in the first place.

I'm still reading Allen Car, and just like it did the first time, everything he says makes complete sense to me. Yet I still feel this urge and wonder how I'll ever stay off the beers. I know he advocates drinking until you've finished the book, but to use that as an excuse would be a major cop out. I signed up here last Wednesday afternoon and then proceeded to have a few beers in the evening. I did state that my intention was to go dry in January but when I logged back in that evening, a few beers up, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and guilt. There I was, drinking, whilst quite a few people all going through their own struggles, had taken the time to welcome me and wish me support. What a joke.

Funnily enough, this weekend was made easier by the fact I was working all of it. I was surrounded by people drinking all day on both Saturday and Sunday but never had a single urge for a drink. Yet here I am on a Monday afternoon spending hours on end thinking about it. It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I guess the point of this is just to put down in writing how I'm feeling, doing so has actually already made me feel better. I'm under no illusions that this next week is going to be as tough as it will ever be but then I'm here for a reason and need to make sure I always remember that.

Time to enjoy an alcohol free Christmas with my kids.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Time to enjoy an alcohol free Christmas with my kids."

There you go! That's the spirit! The rest is all your addictive voice speaking, trying to convince you, tempting you. Seperate yourself from the voice, try to see it as another entity, a seperate part of your brain.

You can tell it to f off, works for me sometimes. Hope you have wonderful Christmas with your kids.

And don't expect it to be different tham the others because it will be, cause you will actually be there 100%.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Tell the wobble to wobble right off. Have a lovely Christmas xxx
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5. Stay strong. It gets easier. Best wishes.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"And don't expect it to be different tham the others because it will be, cause you will actually be there 100%."

Omg, Sorry this phrase even doesn’t make any sense. I meant it will be different than your usual drunk Christmas.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, Day 5 is great, keep adding another day at a time and before you know it we'll be into Jan 2014, with a few weeks of sobriety to be proud of when you look back on xmas with your kids!!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by TheAceFace View Post
For the past 18 years I've always had a drink on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Just the one?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Just the one?
More often that not it's been a lot more than one and if it ever was just the one (I doubt it was) then that was just the hair of the dog due to excesses of the previous day.

Very tough evening tonight but I've made it through the witching hour, once it gets to 8pm my anxiety and twitchiness start to die as I just can't be bothered to go out to get any drinks. Between 7 and 8 it can be such hard work though.

Onwards to day 6.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Of course, nothing's ever easy and this has just been highlighted by my wife bringing me back three big bottles of beer from the supermarket. I don't think she quite gets it, or at least she didn't until I just told her I don't want any beer in the house at all. She's heard it all before about me cutting down/giving up/having a month off etc so I've decided just to do it this time and not make a big song and dance about it.

Anyway, the beers are now ready to be shipped off to someone else as a present, and I now know she won't be buying me any more anytime soon. I'm going to bed
Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pour them down the sink.

Same net financial cost to you.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I posted pretty regularly here, to remind myself daily of what the problem was and why I needed to leave it behind. You could do worse AceFace.

With your wife, maybe tipping those beers out will send the message?

D
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do it AceFace. Congrats on 5 days, it keeps getting better.