Notices

Staying sober in the wine business

Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying sober in the wine business

Hi all -

I haven't ever mentioned my occupation prior to this, but I am indeed in the wine business. It's been 13 years now and it's a job that has flown me everywhere from Spain to Australia. I've experienced some of the most amazing meals, met incredible human beings (and some deplorable ones as well), had incredible highs, and cringe worthy lows. To say it's been a roller coaster would be the understatement of the century. I don't know of a roller coaster which dips as low as this career has brought me over the years.

It is a lucrative business and I have been finishing my degree to become a Master Herbalist, but right now, I cannot find another job in another trade without the necessary credentials which would pay me the money I need to pay my mortgage, bills, etc, etc.. I have goals to transition out of the business (of course) and by this time next year, I should be making major career changes.

The holidays are always the toughest for me, because of the amount of parties and socializing. I find the struggle mostly about finding the balance between socialization and isolation. It doesn't help that I have to taste and SPIT wines at least once a week and in the past 78 days of sobriety I have not swallowed even a single drop. Luckily, even tasting the wine (which is extremely routine after 13 years) I have not been triggered to drink. I'm simply able to access the flavor profile for my clients and parlay that into my sales.

I have at least 70 bottles of wine in my home and the only reason there are so many is because I"M NOT DRINKING.

I have to tap into a particular part of my brain which allows me to see the bottles merely as a 'product' to earn my paycheck and nothing more. It's a discipline I practice every single day.

Keeping lots of seltzer and fruit mixers in my house keeps me focused only on the refreshments which will not alter my personality and reek havoc in my life and bring me down. I want only people, foods, beverages etc which ELEVATE my life. The alternative is simply not an option.

If anyone could please send some positive energy my way, so that I may continue my quest to transition out of this dangerous business into the holistic health field and I hope each and every one of you stay strong during this holiday season.

Muchlove,
Shay
Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending you all my best. I DEFINITELY would not have the will power to "spit" the wine out. Nope!

It used to be a goal of mine to become a Master Herbalist. Such an awesome profession!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sending you positive thoughts. I read a book by an alcoholic recently who worked in the wine business - 'Seven Days Sober..' By Meredith Bell. It kind of reminded me of kitchen confidential by bourdain. She asserts that many in the wine industry are alcoholics. She got out, like you are trying. I wish you the best.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope 2014 will bring you all the new opportunities you're looking for Shay

D
Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sending positive energy your way and best of luck in your career transition.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

shay seems like you are exposed to the very thing you want to stop drinking. actually it is the foundation of your career. i had the same thing before
i used to smoke all the time. tobacco that is. i once worked for the worlds largest tobacco company too and alot of my coworkers and friends smoked. quitting smoking during that time was very difficult to say the least. but i did. i have been smoke free for 14 years now. looking back at that was an accomplishment second to none considering the influences. sometimes i do crave a cig during a cup of coffee in the morning.

i also so wanted to make a career change too during these times. i went to school part time. the company thought i was majoring in Engineering, which at first i was but i secretly changed majors to the medical field. i graduated and moved on. now i work in medical clinics and could not be happier.
i found the best way for to stop and make these changes was to keep secrets. they say secrets can be powerful in the right hands. i think my company would stop funding my education (engineering) and yes they were paying for it. so i kept that a secret. i stopped smoking, most people thought i cut back another secret, but a few knew. in the end i walked away feeling victorious.
so you want to leave the wine industry, do it! you can do it! but have a plan, and steps in this plan. i found in stopping smoking, drinking, and career changes was difficult but it is you yourself is the greatest obstacle in life. set a course and go for it.
sad, i lost most of my friends who i worked with my formal company. but the ones i still call on are proud of me.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi shay17
My thoughts are with you, My father was a property developer and had pubs and wine bars. When I was 17 I was enrolled into wine appreciation course. I was 17, so I bluffed my way through and continued to work for him as a second job...

We have some amazing vineyards here in Oz and I have toured through most of them.
My thoughts are always with the samplers at the cellar doors. So many of them will join you in the tasting and not spit, especially the high end, top shelf wines.

These days I am a photographer and shoot a lot of events, the alcohol flows freely. Surprisingly the trays of drinks very rarely trigger me, who knows why..the canapes are another thing, yumo.
What does happen though is when I am back in the studio or at home editing the event is when my Av starts annoying me...
Good luck in your new career..
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I actually think you are kind of a rogue hero, IMHO.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all - I'm sending positive energy back to you!

Tang, I will look for that book you mention. There's an epidemic of alcoholism
In this business and its extremely taboo to mention it. I tell everyone I'm into my fitness and herbs so therefore on a break from drinking. Most people don't think twice.

Notimetoloose, I know exactly what you mean about the cellar tasting, especially high end. I used to work for an OZ portfolio and traveled extensively through So. Australia. I wasn't sober during that time and the high alcohol wines were luckily soaked up by the delicious foods! I love your country!! Glad to hear you don't experience many triggers in your current career which sounds creative and fulfilling

I appreciate all your comments and support !!

Xx
Old 12-23-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Sending positive vibes. It must be difficult in your line of work but you are doing brilliantly x
Old 03-01-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober in the Wine Biz

Hi Shay17,
I, too, am in the wine industry! I was in retail for 10 years and have been a wine distributer for the past two years. I hit my 6 month sobriety birthday on Feb 26th.
I have also found myself with no desire to drink, taste or crack open any of the 100 bottles I have at home. I've gotten rid of all my "special" personal stash and only store samples for work purposes. I never bring open bottles home with me at the end of the day.
Personally, I've been abstaining from tasting and spitting, leaving it only as a last resort if I feel like I HAVE to know what something tastes like for the sake of my work. Until now I've successfully been avoiding it, using the excuse, "I don't taste while or on my route because I have to drive." Or, "I've developed an allergy and tend to have a reaction to alcohol, so I'm not drinking right now." I've been trying to tailor my excuse whilst preserving my anonymity as an alcoholic, but I recently found myself in a pickle with a connoisseur and doctor, who kept badgering me about tasting and asking me questions about my allergy. Going on to say he doesn't understand alcoholism (implying he doesn't believe it is a real thing). From there, he insisted I HAD to taste this sample he had to a point I felt I had nothing left to do but taste (and spit, of course). I left that appt feeling miserable and disputed I had folded on a boundary I didn't want to cross as my personal preference, simply to people please. I had to inventory this for myself and upon my research I came across your post. It reminded me that, although I still have A LOT of work to do in the way of defining and sticking to my boundaries, it also reminded me that at the end of the day, I didn't drink it, I didn't even WANT to drink it and despite being surrounded by alcohol daily, I have actually made it to an a big milestone (6 months). I feel strong and empowered in sobriety. And I know what I still need to work on.
So thank you for this post and I hope you are rockin' you're herbal game, girl!
❤️ Sam
Old 03-01-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Sam this is a really old thread but welcome and well done on six months. Your story brings to mind the Netflix comedy drama series Flaked - the alcoholic wine distributor character (mostly) does okay with being in it!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wonder how Shay is doing....not posted for 6 years.

I hope he/she is sober and didn't go back out there only to never return.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Powqqoiy View Post
Hi Shay17,
I, too, am in the wine industry! I was in retail for 10 years and have been a wine distributer for the past two years. I hit my 6 month sobriety birthday on Feb 26th.
I have also found myself with no desire to drink, taste or crack open any of the 100 bottles I have at home. I've gotten rid of all my "special" personal stash and only store samples for work purposes. I never bring open bottles home with me at the end of the day.
Personally, I've been abstaining from tasting and spitting, leaving it only as a last resort if I feel like I HAVE to know what something tastes like for the sake of my work. Until now I've successfully been avoiding it, using the excuse, "I don't taste while or on my route because I have to drive." Or, "I've developed an allergy and tend to have a reaction to alcohol, so I'm not drinking right now." I've been trying to tailor my excuse whilst preserving my anonymity as an alcoholic, but I recently found myself in a pickle with a connoisseur and doctor, who kept badgering me about tasting and asking me questions about my allergy. Going on to say he doesn't understand alcoholism (implying he doesn't believe it is a real thing). From there, he insisted I HAD to taste this sample he had to a point I felt I had nothing left to do but taste (and spit, of course). I left that appt feeling miserable and disputed I had folded on a boundary I didn't want to cross as my personal preference, simply to people please. I had to inventory this for myself and upon my research I came across your post. It reminded me that, although I still have A LOT of work to do in the way of defining and sticking to my boundaries, it also reminded me that at the end of the day, I didn't drink it, I didn't even WANT to drink it and despite being surrounded by alcohol daily, I have actually made it to an a big milestone (6 months). I feel strong and empowered in sobriety. And I know what I still need to work on.
So thank you for this post and I hope you are rockin' you're herbal game, girl!
❤️ Sam
Thanks for your post, Sam, we're glad you're here with us.

I respectfully disagree with the notion that we can ever be in a position in which we can't say "no" when it comes to alcohol.

You did what you thought you had to do and wisely spat it out.

In the future, though, I would consider saying you can't taste it for them.

It sounds like you're doing a fine job with your recovery.

As regulars on this forum have seen me post many times, when it comes to my sobriety, I make the rules.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Shay.

Sending lots of 'energy' your way. I am in the same boat. I also work in the wine industry, and as an owner, there is no chance of me getting out of it for at least 5 more years, as all of our finances are completely tied up in our business.

I used to taste at least 30 to 40 wines a week. I have now limited that to about a max of 10. It is the hardest thing for me. Much harder than going out to eat without drinking or even Holidays. I am just recovering from a relapse that started with tasting and ended up drinking straight from morning to night for 3 weeks. Not****faced-drunk, but what I call 'maintenance drunk'. Just enough to keep the demons at bay, but way too much for my health.

Now it's back on the wagon. I am thinking about instructing the reps that they have to have one hell of a good reason to get a wine in front of me. Just because they have a bag with them is not enough. If I repeatedly fail at this and relapse a few more times, I will look into 'outsourcing' all tasting to one of our managers whose judgement I trust. Problem will be public perception, as much of our success has to do with our customers' trust in my palate. But it's not worth dying over.

Anyway, best of luck to both of us. Sounds like you got your stuff more in order than me, Let's keep checking in with each other.

xoxo PNW
Old 03-02-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by PNWLuv View Post
I am just recovering from a relapse that started with tasting and ended up drinking straight from morning to night for 3 weeks.

...If I repeatedly fail at this and relapse a few more times, I will look into 'outsourcing' all tasting to one of our managers whose judgement I trust. Problem will be public perception, as much of our success has to do with our customers' trust in my palate. But it's not worth dying over.
you know that quote insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Being an alcoholic can be a lot like a guy stabbing himself in the leg in the anticipation that one day he won't bleed.

don't wait for another relapse - I'd out source tasting now. Like you say it's not worth dying over.

D
Old 03-02-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Powqqoiy

Congrats on your 6 months. I agree with Sober CAH tho - we can always say no.

My life, my great life, depends on me staying sober., Anything I put before that I'm risking losing.

D